Monday, October 08, 2007

Zakat

Alhamdulillah, I paid our zakat over the weekend. It’s my second year paying zakat. Not as emotional as before.

The fact that I am able to pay zakat shows that I’m fortunate enough to be able to support both of us. Some single mothers struggle. I wonder how they cope. Strange enough, why is it when a divorce is finalised, men start to ignore their responsibilities? I mean, if you hate your ex-wife so much, why must the kids be penalised? Why shouldn’t you contribute part of the expenses? In fact, even how bad things turn out between you and the ex-wife, the least you could do is to show some respect to her for being the mother of your children. Even if the ex-wife asks for divorce, I’m sure on that ground alone, the ex-wife is entitled to some gratitude, more so if she’s taking care of the kids.

Some ex-husbands are decent enough to contribute not just the children’s expenses, but also the ex-wife’s until she remarries. I even heard that some of them actually pays the zakat for the ex-wife. These men show great respect to the divorce issue and deserve a pat on the back.

But who am I to talk about religion and responsibilities?

But you know, it just baffles me that when it comes to divorce, men can turn their heads. They use whatever rules in our religion to get away from paying alimony to the ex-wife. Some find excuses to delay child support.

I wish single mothers have more strength and courage to speak up for their rights. I wish men live up to their words even after separation. I hope they remember that there are kids involve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alhamdulillah. Am glad to know that you're doing so fine. :)
I pray that all single mothers will have your kind of strength, Ms Istanbul..

Hugs...
to you + Mini MsIstanbul :)

Ms B said...

Fizzy dear,

I am blessed with a wonderful daughter. Without her support and patience, I wouldnt be where I am now. I think our life is blessed because of her faith in me, for putting her trust in me, for believing that the bond we share as mother and child will lead to sweeter things in life.

I pray that I can be a better mother to her, to be there when she needs me most, to cherish the moments we share. I want her to know that whatever happens, we still have each other.

And that's the greatest gift of all.

Unknown said...

Hi Ms Istanbul,

Here's wishing you and lil one.

SELAMAT HARI RAYA.

Chin up dear. You ahve your best companion with you there. That's all that counts. Cheers.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.