Sunday, August 29, 2010

Raya preparation

I haven’t done much preparation for eid. In fact, I couldn’t be bothered to get a new pair of baju kurung knowing I will only wear it once a year. The old ones are still as good as new and I am sure nobody at the new place will notice should I have to host lunch or dinner on that day.

The young lady on the other hand would like to have our traditional dress, preferably in blue. She saw a few that she liked but it was either they didn’t have her size or the quality of workmanship wasn’t as good as I expected. Perhaps we can use Monday to find one that meets all requirements.
I reckon this year will be our simplest way to celebrate eid as we have yet to make friends in the new city. I assume the partner’s friends and colleagues will be away to spend time with their family in their respective hometown, thus reducing the chances of having an open house. It will not stop our kitchen from up and running as the young lady has requested our annual pulut kuning and rendang as well as a few other dishes from his country. Hopefully someday I get to master the cooking and receive less criticism but for now I shall leave it to the partner to prepare them while I focus on making our local dishes.


Pulut kuning and rendang (pic googled)

Pumpkin dessert (pic googled)

A few days ago while enjoying my mocha at a nearby cafe, I texted a friend in London. I was telling her that life here was different and that I wasn’t ready to settle for good. Perhaps the combination of the change in my character and my circumstance led to that conclusion. With the path I chose, it seems unlikely that I will reside here unless of course if I find a pot of gold coins at the end of a rainbow which allows me to have a home in the respective cities, making it possible to retire early and divide my time accordingly.

Hmm, I am not sure if leprechauns would be kind enough to leave their treasure unattended or better, if they visit on my side of the world. Perhaps I have higher chances in striking luck if I go to the Land of Irish.

Leprechaun in his pot of gold (pic googled)

Anyway, I hope I can squeeze a few jars of cookies in my luggage. The partner seemed to like ‘kuih bangkit’ when I introduced it to him back then while the young lady simply enjoys most traditional cookies. As for me, my all time favourite has always been pineapple tart and I used to make them when I was an undergraduate. I think I liked to experiment baking and cooking when I was in my late teens, yet gradually the interest faded away over the years.

Oh, before I forget, I stumbled upon the last book in Twilight series in paperback version. The price was only half than the ones available in UK and as it was on sale, it became almost one third. It didn’t take me twice to think and I grabbed it. To my own surprise, I finished reading in one day.

I still think Jacob is hotter than Edward.

6 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

MsB,
I love how this post developed -smoothly shifting from one related topic to another- and then ended abruptly on something else :D

I'm also trying to decide on the Raya open house menu ... I shouldn't be thinking about food so much ... aghh!

word veri says *ingin*

... said...

Ms B! Selamat Hari Raya!

Cosmic_GurL said...

Heya babe, just wanna wish u and the little one Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri :)

Ms B said...

Naz,

I now have a huge kitchen, so am looking forward to lots of trial and error in baking and cooking. :D

Ku inginkan mee goreng mamak. ;-)

Ms B said...

Darlene,

Selamat hari raya to u too. Let us know how u keep the young ones entertained this year.

Ms B said...

CG,

Thank you! Kalau makan tu, ingat2 lah orang yang jauh di perantauan macam kami ni. ;) selamat hari raya!