Saturday, August 21, 2010

Language for dummies

Me: Do you want to go to Pasar Ramadan?

The Young Lady: No. There is too much food there. Let’s just go to **** restaurant and order.


Hmm, I was quite surprised hearing that from her. Probably she couldn’t be bothered by the food feast. She just wants a plate of her favourite dish for iftar and unfortunately, I couldn’t make them as the oven in this house isn’t working. She prefers her old routine of breaking fast with a simple meal (roast chicken is super quick to prepare) followed by dessert for supper.

Somehow going from one stall to another is too much for her.

One thing she does enjoy is the variety of kuih. I try to get different ones each day and she has no complaint so far unless it happens to be too spicy e.g. cara berlauk.

On a different note, the other day something tickled me and as it was Ramadan, I refrained from making further comments. There was no point getting into an argument with an old mamak ‘pak haji’.

I wonder how people define themselves as Malays or Muslims. It baffles me when I see their reactions towards others who do not fit their ‘mould’, especially where kids are concerned. My friends’ children shared their views when they came back from abroad. They were ridiculed for having an accent and after a few months, they started to speak ‘manglish’ in order to be accepted.

People are quick to judge when they see someone different from them. I dont see the point of mastering the language when their values are long gone. The social ills in this country are alarming that I wonder where we went wrong that these youngsters are behaving the way they are.

I dont blame my friends for wanting their kids to be better at English. They simply want the best for their children and this language serves as a good platform to widen one’s knowledge. Besides, if they want to read as many books as they want, why should we stop them?

Further, how do you a expect someone to be good in Malay when we have different dialects for every state? I remember my daughter said she couldn’t understand her cousin as she was speaking the language East –Coast style. Even I need a translator whenever a person talks to me in strong dialect.

I am happy to entertain kids in English regardless where their hometown is. They talk to me sensibly, love their parents dearly and try their best to be better Muslims. It seems they are on the right track compare to some Malay-speaking kids I’ve seen. One who is able to speak bahasa may not necessarily possess its values nor appreciate its culture.

Before anyone makes anymore noise about my girl not speaking the language at par, at least she has no qualms eating durian, sambal or petai. Some Malays couldn’t see themselves near these items!

Hmm, adakah catatan ini mengurangkan pahala puasa saya?

12 comments:

Nana said...

Hi Ms B. Salam Ramadhan dan selamat berpuasa. I currently live in Japan. Hopefully will come back to Malaysia for good next year. In Japan, we do feel people staring at us and we know we are treated differently sometimes. We can accept these and try to ignore if possible cause it's a fact that we are outsiders and we are 'menumpang' here.
However, we feel very frustrated in Malaysia. We, Malaysians have to accept being treated 'rudely' because we are not 'mat saleh'? With foreigners, the voice is so sweet and always with a sweet smile while with us...the service is 'nak tak nak' jer? Thinking that we would be treated without discrimination in our country! It's indeed very frustrating.
Oh...another headache would be my son who only speaks Japanese. hahaha. Don't know how he'll be treated at school. I just hope he'll catch up Malay language fast so that he would not be labeled as 'weird'. Yeah, that's our Tanahair tersayang...:(

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

Ms B. Welcome back. :)

Sad to admit but you are right. The real value is gone. Not speaking the same language doesn't make ones less Malay or whatever race he/she is.

I remember something i learned from my Uni years. language promotes learning thus maturity.

The Momster said...

Ms B,
I hope whatever remarks were made l'il B does not actually hear it! Or if she does, hope she doesn't get upset over it.

I have yet to hear the posh British accent coming from your girl! ;)

... said...

it's alright Mini B. many others wish they could speak good english and exposed to the language early in life. you've spent most of your life abroad, i thought it's understandable if you do not master bahasa melayu?

HH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HH said...

Salam & Ramadhan Kareem, Ms B! Long time no see/write/blog-hop.

Anyway, here's my 20-cent on this matter. It's a conspiracy that the West has long deviced upon us -- the Orients, for we were known once for our politeness and culture, not forgetting our ethos (adab). By making capitalism acceptable, we allow the problematising of identity within ourselves; our mould is now changing. Everything is made blur.
It is true as what some say - there is a REAL challenge for the Ummah akhir zaman.

Ms B said...

Hi Nana,

It is quite different in London as the city is metropolitan and very diversed. People usually mind their own affairs and couldnt care less on the way we appear or talk. Of course foreigners are expected to speak decent level of English.

I wish our own people arent that biased as you mentioned. It will take some time for our society to progress in that matter.

Ms B said...

Hi Jane,

Yes I am back but not for long. :-)

Frankly, many Malays have forgotten their values and roots. Arrogance, ignorance, disrespect etc.

Ms B said...

Momster,

ahh.. she didnt understand as that pak haji was speaking in loghat Penang. At times she does get irritated but I keep telling her that she has the advantage of mastering 3 languages at school and hopefully, speaking 2 more at home even if they are just basic command.

Apalah dibanggakan sangat boleh bertutur di dalam bahasa melayu sekiranya adat dan nilai2 murni sudah hilang?

Ms B said...

Darlene,

I suppose 'PHD people' couldnt stand kids who have the edge in certain areas. Unfortunately, understanding is not their thing.

Ms B said...

Hi LHM,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think it boils down to individual on whether they want to make a stand or change in things they believe in. Sometimes, no matter how much effort is being done to strengthen values, it wouldnt work if people do not buy-in.

HH said...

Oppss.. careful, B on the generalisation of "PHD people". I do know some of the kindest, most understanding human beings who are with a PhD behind their names/ midst of doing one, i.e. D from Pause to Reflect. No offence! Cheers!