Monday, March 29, 2010

Battle of consoles


Pictures googled

A friend triggered a question on this subject and I thought I might as well write about it, a good way to keep this blog up and running. *grins*

From my observation, the preference to play these gadgets does not correlate to geographical. It is more of a gender issue. I believe PSP is more appealing to boys due to its functions which require the interaction of both set of fingers. The games available for this console are more action-packed and the adrenaline rush is simply hard to resist. By the way, we know there is a child in us and there is no age limit when it comes to boys. During a period when I had to travel a lot, scenes of men with salt and pepper hair (or bald) in business suit playing PSP with big headphones in business lounge were a norm.

On the other hand, DSi attracts girls, women and nerdy men as it is more delicate to play. Most of the time, one only has to use its stylus and occasionally its buttons, depending on games. Further, if I look at the range, its games are more of a “thinking” type and cater to different groups, hence more variety. Another thing I notice is that DSi is more family friendly. Take brain training for example. I have seen a family where all could play and take turns to see who has the best mind.

So I hope that answers your question. Boys, no matter where they are, prefer PSP over DSi. Let them enjoy the rush but be prepared for bruises here and there. I know some boys get overexcited while playing, especially those war or race games that their body react way too much.

Oh, not forgetting the “throwing the console on the floor” scene when they lose. Girls are slightly better when handling frustration. They simply switch off DSi without saving the game and throw them gently on the sofa. Occasionally they cry. *smiles
*

8 comments:

The Momster said...

Now, that really answered my question! And I think I would need a DSi for myself too - any word search game? My fave!

Hazrey said...

I couldnt agree more of the fist paragraph, tapi takkkk setujuuuuuu dengan last paragraph. Tipu tipu.

Boys cry too. The lembiks one.

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

i agree ms B! my husband is the closest example. and i just have to bear with the screeching sound.. haih..

IDB said...

i think i'd prefer the PSP over the DSi, psp games are way better. (this is me coming from the ps one era!) tried the brain training game with my friend's ds and found it a bit boring after a few rounds. even iphone games are just as good as the ds nowadays...so why have 2?? heheh

Ms B said...

momster,

I am sure they have. You can search either at HMV or Games website and I bet whatever they have, there should be one back home.

Ms B said...

Hazrey,

I havent seen boys getting emotional when playing games. I make sure I observe better next time.

NOt lembik, just expressing their feelings better. *grins*

Ms B said...

Jane,

With the presence of the lil one, perhaps his enthusiasm will decline and focus on something else like changing diapers. *smiles*

Ms B said...

IDB,

I havent tried PSP, so cant really comment much. My encounter with DS was solely on the young lady's request to have one.

Ahhh... it seems you are back up north. Hopefully your rendang is sufficient for the next few days. *grins*