Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Revisiting 2008

"The ties that bind us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply... meant to be."

It is about a week before we say goodbye to 2008. The year has taught me a lot on relationships; friends, family, love. *chuckles on the last bit* Looking back, I think the subject that was revisited most was friendship.

There were moments that the subject was tested. A friend told me that over the years, we change as a result of our circumstances and sometimes, we could not connect to the people we were close to before. Unless they are a part of our present life, they can’t appreciate on the things that we go through.

I have also learnt that we have friends and acquaintances. I may know you in the past but you may not belong in the first group. I make no apology for wanting to be cautious when people from the past try to be reacquainted with me. As I replied to someone, once bitten twice shy. We never know the people we claim as friends are more than capable to throw us down, literally speaking. Perhaps it is also a reason why I stay away from Facebook. *LOL* I know it is a lame excuse but I think friendship is too precious to be declared to the whole wide world. I rather have my friends text, call or email (not forwarded emails of course! By the way, I usually delete them without reading).

I fail to understand the need for some people to think they have the luxury to criticise others when they don’t like to be criticised. Just because a person appears different, what gives us the right to comment on the way they look? Does that define their happiness? More often I see people who have them all; beauty, fame, wealth; seem to be lacking of that area. From a friend’s observation, some people may have lost the perfect look that they had but somehow they appear content with life.

I believe in the importance of being in a company of positive minded people. A good friend should have no problem to tell us that what we are doing is wrong. It keeps us grounded. Just as my friends and I tell each other we are yummy mummy or hot babes, we would tell each other idiots if we do something berserk.

Then, there are binds that we could not explain. I have friends for decades and probably see them once in a few years. Yet, we try our best to keep in touch and these days it seems I am able to call them more often than before (and I hope they are not bored yet with my constant phone calls.*grins*). Somehow, despite the time and distance, the moment we meet and catch up, it feels we pick up just where we left. I hope the ties that bind us remain strong.

I will be taking a long leave and as much as I hope to write before the year ends, past experience indicates that I usually don’t when I become a SAHM. Mini B takes most of my time (shopping, coffee, cooking etc). I would like to take this opportunity to wish you happy holidays. Make the most of the remaining days of 2008.

22 comments:

Inah said...

will you be my friend ms B?

D said...

hmm... i now think i have less friends la! sometimes i save unsent messages just for the satisfaction of expressing myself. pathetic or what?

Naz in Norway said...

I'm a scorpion and we kalajengkings are not known to have many friends but those few that we have, we treasure like life itself :)

Lee said...

Hi Ms B, I sure missed you. Got no link, can't remember when you last popped in, ha ha.
Anyway, here's wishing you and your Angel the best of Seasons wishes, happy holidays and a very happy, romantic new year, *wink*.
Best regards Ms B....watch out for that Mistletoe, ha ha....suggest carry a spare lip gloss, ha ha. Lee.

Anonymous said...

2008 has been a good year for me... but let's hope for better years ahead, InsyaAllah...

happy holidays you two!

n.i. said...

Happy New Year to you tooo... I know you'll be frequenting Oxford St!

Take a good care of yourself (and mini B) and may the days ahead be filled with happiness!

:-)

Jumper said...

Hi Ms B,
I deleted forwarded emails too. I believe in the close friendship of a few good friends rather than the hopelessness of the endless list of FB friends.
Hopefully, the year 2009 will bring you the joy, luck, love and friendship you deserve...

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!

Kak Teh said...

Have a good break with the lil one. Sorry couldnt say a proper hi the last time we saw each other.

See you in the new year.

Ms B said...

inah,

in this blogosphere, u are already a friend.

so hows shopping?

Ms B said...

D,

I think as long as we have quality friends, that we are fine.

I dont think it's pathetic. Perhaps some of us arent comfortable expressing to our friends in order to avoid anyone getting hurted. But a true friend will always be honest with you, even when it hurts.

Ms B said...

Hi naz,

Yup! It takes only a few to make our life meaningful.

Ms B said...

Hi Lee,

How I wish I can see a mistletoe now. Tho if I do see one, I'd probably wish for the Candy Man who is still nowhere to be found. *LOL*

Happy holidays to u too! We will be travelling.

Ms B said...

momster,

2008 was kind to me with many meaningful events. I hope for a better 2009, esp since where I am, it looks very gloomy for many people.

Have fun with your family trip!

Ms B said...

n.i.,

On contrary, I wont be spending time at Oxford St, at least for the next few days. Will be travelling but I am sure I'll make up the shopping time next week.

Happy holidays to u too dear!

Ms B said...

Hi Jumper,

Thanks for dropping by. I think there are some who apply the same thing with forwarded emails. I try to email friends but usually I call.

FB is good for networking and catching up with people you know. Probably there is a part of me who prefers the old method. Friendship should have a personal touch.

May 2009 brings more good things to you!

Ms B said...

KT,

U too! I hope it'll be a good break for both of us. Will catch up when back.

toughcookie said...

i can relate to so much that you have written. i guess all of us would experience the same thing on friendship but many do not realise it.

anyways, wishing you a happy new year and do write whenever possible. there would be times when you'd want to pour your heart out in writing...

take care!

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms B...happy holidays for both of you...i'm sure that what you have been through the year 2008 has enriched your life...may the year 2009 fill with a lot of love, joy, happiness and success...mataimasho...

Lee said...

Hi Ms B, In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.

A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they're not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they're not so bad.

Here's wishing you and your Angel the best of Seasons greetings and a very Happy New Year....may the New Year bring out two moons and soft breezes on your face and beautiful nights always. Best regards, Lee.

Ms B said...

Hi TC,

Hey u are here!

Oh, u know, I thought I'd be writing about love but thinking back, friendship was questioned most.

wish you happy new year too! I hope I continue writing as long as my creative juice keeps flowing.

Take care yeah and little JJ (did i get that right?) is getting bigger each day!

Ms B said...

Hi danial,

Happy new year to you too! 2008 had many memorable events and I hope it will be better next year.

May 2009 bring us happiness and peace.

Ms B said...

Lee,

U and your two moons. *LOL* I hope so too. Sometimes I see one, occasionally two but mostly none. Either way, I am content for it is all about the journey. Each experience adds colour to our life.

Happy new year to you!