Wednesday, December 31, 2008

La Ville-Lumière

The City of Lights, Paris. That’s where we were over the long weekend. Only for a day though. We spent three days at Marne-La-Vallée or commonly known as Disneyland Resort Paris. It takes only 35 minutes by rail from there to Paris city and costs only €13 for an adult daily ticket, covering 5 zones (including the metro in the City).

The architecture in Paris reflects attention to detail. You know you are in Paris just by looking at their windows. It makes me realized how fussy some of my British friends and colleagues can be on getting a Victorian style house. The Europeans are proud of their history, as seen on how they preserve the old designs.

Anyway, I’m sure you can read more about the city elsewhere. Personally, part of me feels that the city is a bit ghetto (is that right?). Their metro reminds me of New York. Not that I have been there but from what I can see in CSI NY, it has some resemblance. The people are carefree or perhaps, unruly. On that day alone, I’ve witnessed at least three people jumping over the ticket barrier gates in the metro. Blimey!

As for Disneyland, it’s a magical place. *smiles* Despite the freezing weather (at one point, the temperature dropped to minus 7 degrees. The ponds froze and the Skull Cave had icicles.), we had a great time. The shows, especially the ones held just for Xmas and New Year, were awesome. I think we covered all the special performances and parades, whilst the routine shows, only missed two. We also managed to get on more rides this time, tho we made sure that the waiting time was 15 minutes or less. Our toes would be numb by then, hence the cut-off time.

I thought we would come back to a warmer place but oh boy, how wrong we were. It seems that the freezing weather followed us back to London. However, it didn’t stop us from shopping. What do you expect? It’s Boxing Day sales and discounts were up to 70% (sometimes, up to 90%)! *grins*

It was definitely a well deserved break for both of us; the trip to Paris and shopping spree. Now I need to get a book shelf as Mini B got herself more books. We couldn’t resist good books, especially when they were selling 1/3 of their original price. Oh, I behaved. No handbags (thank God!).


I hope it is not too late to wish everyone Salam Maal Hijrah. Both of us would like to wish everyone Happy New Year! We would probably be in bed on NY eve, making sure the duvet keeps us warm. Perhaps we shall try to keep ourselves awake with a mug of hot chocolate. (yeah right?!?)

It also means that I'll be a year older next month. I wasn't planning to celebrate as most of my close friends have gone back for good (in the past, it was more for our kids to sing birthday song and have cakes). Mini B is still trying to get me to have a party but I reckon it is just an excuse for her to dress up. She's such a girl. *smiles*

24 comments:

Inah said...

disneyland paris!!! one day i'll be there..

happy new year to both Ms B and mini B :)

Naz in Norway said...

Hmm..would have liked to see some pics here :)
I'm planning to take the kids there one day but DH is convinced that it is really for my sake rather than the kids'...hehe!
Happy New year to you and your little one.

... said...

happy new year ms b.

~ love disneyland too.

Unknown said...

Hi Ms B,

Ooooo...I can imagine lil Ms B in Disneyland. When my hubby & I took our boys over to Paris Disney, sometime back, don't talk about the lil boys...their mama went excited at the sight of Goofy greeting at the entrance then...ha ha.

Paris is such a romantic. It has that special charm lah.

Oh boy! I heard sales went as low as 95% there in London...wow best nya.

Anyway dear, Happy New Year to you & lil Ms B. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Ms B... glad to hear you had a great vacation!

I can't wait to take Imtiyaz to any Disneyland! Hong Kong would be the nearest, and cheapest! hehe...

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms B...went there during spring, and could not stand the heat that kill my mood...hahahahaha...;-)

Hazia said...

Happy New Year and Happy Birthday too. May 2009 unveil many wonderful surprises. I didn't like Paris the first time I was there. Still waiting for the best time to give it a 2nd chance:)

n.i. said...

happy new year & salam maal hijrah 2 u dear!

ooohhh... bestnya... i wonder when can i bring the boys to disneyland? hmmmm...

D said...

Welcome back! I'm sure you had a wonderful time, despite the freezing weather. Went to Euro Disney during my younger days with friends many springs ago. The plan is to bring the kids there within these few years, but I don't think during winter though!

Yes, yes, yes! have the birthday party luv, just for fun!

Cosmic_GurL said...

Ahhhh...ive nvr been to Paris...say hello to the Eiffel Tower for me ya..on 2nd thought....better say hello to all the cute frenchmen for me...hahaha...

Dear Ms B, may next year be better than this year for u and the little one and may all your wishes come true :))

Ms B said...

inah,

go to gold coast! i'm sure it is as good as disney. *smiles*

happy new year to u too! may your wishes come true.

Ms B said...

naz,

alaa, u can see the pics at their website (ni dah case malas lah. *lol*)

agreed! I think we adults look fwd to the place than the kids. *grins*

happy new year to u too! did i just read that you were on your way to take a mountain walk at 4 am??

Ms B said...

happy new year darlene!

Ms B said...

ruby dear,

oh, i can relate so much on what u wrote. *grins* during our last trip there, i was so excited to get a pic with minnie. i think we appreciate the cartoon charac more cos these days, kids have variety ie HSM, hannah montanna etc. i remember my parents bought me huge mickey and minnie when i was 5 (it was abt 3ft i think).

u are spot on abt the sales. *winks*

happy new year to u and ur loved ones!

Ms B said...

momster,

happy new year dear! yes, bring imtiyaz to disney. he'll enjoy it! perhaps his baba will be more excited. *grins*

Ms B said...

hi danial,

u couldnt stand the heat and i couldnt stand the cold. *lol* i think had we gone in a thicker attire, it would probably be ok. some guests came well prepared ie in their ski gear! *grins*

all in all, it was indeed a good trip.

Ms B said...

hazia,

happy new year to u too! i wish you more good surprises.

oh, thanks for the bday wish too.

Ms B said...

n.i.,

wait for the boys are at the right age for them to remember the trip. otherwise, rugi!

i got your bug! *sigh* hope i get a good sleep tonite. not planning to watch fireworks even on telly.

Ms B said...

d,

dont go during winter if you want the kids to enjoy the rides. better, go during mid week as the place is less crowded, hence low waiting time for rides. even with below zero temp, the queue for Nemo coaster was more than an hour!

we went for the shows and parades. they were indeed awesome!

ah, i shall consider the birthday party. perhaps i'll ask some friends to join me and the lil one at a nice place.

Ms B said...

CG,

if you must know, the good looking men are italians, spanish, turkish (depends on their genetic. if they have greek/bulgarian, very good looking). a client of mine is french and he is definitely better looking than the brits. tho a local colleague looks like clark kent in smallville. oh yes, i am always surrounded with good looking men. *LOL*

anyway CG, your last words touches me. I hope so too.... may your wishes come true as well.

Daphne Ling said...

Hi Ms B,

Happy New Year to you and Mini B, and Happy Early Birthday! Incidentally, we share the same birthday month...=)

Hope the new year brings you all the very best...

*Hugs*

Kak Teh said...

i dont like paris in winter - it is icy cold. and when is yr birthday again?

Ms B said...

Hi Daphne,

Happy birthday to you too! *smiles* Hope you'll go out and celebrate. Cherish your time there. I'm sure you're enjoying yourself.

And I hope this year brings more good things to you too!

hugs...

Ms B said...

KT,

I shall sms you of the date. Perhaps we can makan2 at HV, eh? *winks*