Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Collide



We enter the world alone and we leave it alone and everything that happens in between we owe it to ourselves to find a little company. We need help, we need support, otherwise we are in it by ourselves. Strangers, cut off from each other, and we forget, just how connected we all are. So instead, we choose love, we choose life, and, for a moment, we feel just a little bit less alone.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend today. We talked about life as a single woman. We agreed that it has some perks. It is not that we are discounting the life of a married person. It is just that for some of us, being single give us more flexibility to do things. As we are both close to family and love hanging out with friends, we can spend more time with them with less guilt or no question asked.

Undoubtedly, some of us prefer to remain solo due to responsibility such as taking care of family members. In these circumstances, it applies to both genders. I have seen a few men who choose to lead a life without a partner as they put their loved ones first. Factors include ageing parents, dependent siblings or being the sole breadwinner for the family.

Then you have people like me who choose to be single again as we put our children’s needs above ours. My whole life is about the lil one and her needs are my priority. It gives me joy to be able to be a part of her life, to see her growing up, to watch her school performances (and make sure that my secretary blocks my diary for her school’s events) etc.

My friend said perhaps our status works best for our situation. No two persons are the same. We could relate how a friend has a wonderful partner who shares her values and interests. We reckon that until we meet someone who understands and accepts us for who we are, we are doing fine with the way things are.


Strange enough, sometimes I feel I already have that person, touching my life in a way he possibly can. My eid was special this year as I had a good friend to spend it with.

13 comments:

D said...

'you and I collide...'

We enjoy life while it fills us with sunshine and flowers. Though there are perhaps more days without sunshine, it makes us more appreciative of the little light we get from time to time. Sorry, I'm having a nasty Monday morning here. :'(

Cosmic_GurL said...

I love this song by Howie Day...His voice is just so...sigh...love the lyrics too..

Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills my mind
I somehow find
You and I collide

This was one of the songs I played at my wedding reception last year :)

Inah said...

i love this song!! strangers are connected..and thats what happenned to us..i barely know u but i really hope i can meet u one fine day ;)

shall wait til then :)

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms B...i thought i live in a parallel world...;-)

Ms B said...

Ah D, with the weather we are having, definitely gloomy days ahead. *grins* The moment we see sunshine, we get very excited just like a child receives a bar of choc.

Always the little things that makes our day.

Tell me about it. I am hoping for a better wednesday.

Ms B said...

CG,

U had this song for your wedding? How sweet! *smiles*

I love the lyrics too. sometimes people meet and just click.

hey, maybe u shud write a posting abt ur wedding. Perhaps u did. maybe i shud dig ur archive.

Ms B said...

Inah dear,

Such beautiful words coming from you. Thank you. Perhaps one day our path crosses.

Ms B said...

hi danial,

*grins* are u sure? hey, u made KT's day with that posting! She must be really happy.

Hazia said...

That's so true. I've also seen men who choose not to marry at all so they are free/mobile to do things they are passionate about. We all decide what's important to each of us:)

... said...

couldn't agree more ;).

being single or married--happiness still requires effort i guess?

ps: i like elizabethtown !

Ms B said...

hi hazia,

i think what matters is that we are happy with our choices. *smiles*

darlene,

I luv elizabethtown!!!!! Bloom looks so cute in that movie. just a regular john who is so yummy. *winks*

n.i. said...

ms b,
owwhhhhhh.... want to share the eid details? hehehehe

what is happiness to one may not mean anything to the other... it is very subjective, kan?

To me, as long as you are happy, I am happy *wink* and please continue to entertain us with your entertaining posts :-)

Ms B said...

n.i.,

you are right. happiness is subjective and i believe only we can decide what makes us happy, not others. some may not appreciate what triggers to the smile on our face.

Ah, i wish i can be more creative when it comes to writing. glad to be able to make your day.*smiles*