Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Desperate Housewives in the making

(pic googled)

I always wonder how my SAHM friends handle home affairs without jeopardising their appearances. A step into their place, one cannot help but to feel impressed by its spotlessly clean and neat arrangement. At the same time, they always look great and leave behind a trail of sweet fragrance wherever they go. It seems cleaning and cooking have little effect on them, even if it involves preparing a dish which requires ‘belacan’ or chilli paste.

How on earth do they do that!?!?

I am beginning to miss the old abode where it only took me half a day in a week to maintain. The small and cosy space meant less area to clean while laundry was kept to minimal as there were only two of us. Cooking was bliss as mine were usually simple dishes and if I didn’t feel like it, there was always M&S pop-in-the-oven selection or nearby restaurants for take-away food.

The house is now a few times bigger and constant TLC is required. There are always things to be done or perhaps it is just me who couldn’t stand unkempt place, as if there is a decree in managing household. I wish I could just turn an eye blind but dishes won’t magically wash themselves nor the dust disappears on its own.

At the moment, I am currently located in the middle of nowhere, though the young lady is having a hard time understanding the term as she keeps saying that there is no such thing as nowhere-land. It’s a popular place for expat and within our villas of 12 (or 10), six are occupied by blondies while two could probably come from Mediterranean. There are at least three international schools and many private institutions within 5 minutes drive radius.

Yet, the nearest civilization has only ONE coffee place, a good one thankfully. At least if I feel like taking a break, we could head there for the full English breakfast or gourmet burger for dinner. The place is so brand new that they have yet to install connecting cables to the nearest station for tv reception! We found out yesterday that neighbours have been using ‘special’ satellite dish to get their tv up and running. I am seriously considering that option. As for internet is concerned, I have been relying on my mobile broadband but 3G is so low that the speed is as fast as tortoise race.

Don’t get me started on school stuff. No doubt it’s a prestigious school but the glitches could have been handled better. I am not paying peanuts here, thus I expect better from them. The lessons are longer by an hour compare to her previous school to cater for additional subjects i.e. languages and drama. The young lady looks ok so far but once after-school activities kick in, she’ll be finishing by 4pm. It is probably longer than the working hours of government officers.

In the mean time, let’s just pray that I can keep my sanity
.

6 comments:

D said...

tee hee...

don't worry, honey. you'll keep your sanity alright! After the simple and busy life in London, you need to learn to slow down now. :) Gd luck!!

Ms B said...

D,

Trying to slow down but it has proven challenging. :D Hopefully it'll be a better week. I got myself new TV drama boxset to occupy my time (and less houswork. Phew!).

Anonymous said...

from the weat to te east.... wont be easy for many but i'm sure you'll be ok at the end of the day.. the most important thing is to have your loved ones with you.

hang in there. all the best for you. :)

Ann

The Momster said...

Ms B,
I hope you are coping well with the SAHM title ;) Not everyone's lucky to be able to do that you know... enjoy! :D

Ms B said...

Hi Ann,

Thanks! We will get there eventually as soon as we know our way around. Things get better each day, thankfully. :)

Ms B said...

Momster,

I know. I'm enjoying the moments of being a mom to the young girl. She has lots of requests, food wise!

Oh, she even asked the school if I can volunteer as their librarian. :)