Saturday, December 08, 2007

Being "rich"

I realise I havent been writing these days. I had limited time to myself. Work has been demanding and my spare time has been allocated to the lil one. Not to mention that my mind has been occupied by provoking questions.

Before I continue with my ramblings, best friend just texted me that she’s a qualified SAP (she is already a qualified accountant!). I’m so happy for her (and I’m sure she’s going to whack me for telling the whole world that she passed her exam). So dear, are you going to get an increment for passing that paper? They should give you a pay rise. If that fails, you can always send your CV around (SAP people get paid a lot from what I hear).

On another note, I’m getting extra attention these days. I got “sorry for making your life miserable these days” gifts from the one; a book which I just finished reading about 10 mins ago and a high tech gadget. Being practical, I returned the latter cos I don’t use it nor will I have the time to do so. He reckons I should change for another gift. I am being spoilt. Not just me, but also the lil one. He has been searching for her “wish list” but there was none in stock! Knowing that he took the time to search for her gift makes me happy.

Back to the happiness topic, we keep on thinking that people who appear better physically, are happy inside. These include having the ideal family, high-flying career, etc. Just because they look better, it doesn’t mean that they are happier.
It’s like this conversation which I had with my girl. One day, we somehow walked past to a familiar area and my girl popped this question, “do you remember when we were poor, mummy?”

I was surprised by her question, as well as her selection of words.

“Yes. Why? Were you sad?”

“Yeah.”

“Why were you sad before?”

“Because we lived in a small place.”

“Well, it was a small place but remember, we always had each other. Some children live in a big house but they don’t get to see their mommy or daddy because they are too busy. So do you want to have a big house and not see me, or do you want to live in a small house and you see me everyday, do things together?”

“I want to see you everyday mummy.”

“So, were you sad when we live in that old house?”

“No mummy.” With a smile on her face.

I hope she understands that being together is more important than being “rich”. Sometimes I ask myself why did I even bother to move to a bigger place as we spend most of our time in my room! She is still my teddy bear and I’m not sure when I will let her sleep in her own room. Before she does so, I better enjoy having my teddy bear in my bed.

Good night dear friends.

5 comments:

The Momster said...

your little girl is indeed lucky to have you! :)

Anonymous said...

Momster,

thanks! these days, kids often mistake material stuffs are equivalent to happiness. I need to instill these values in her, and hopefully she remembers the sacrifices we have to make just to be together.

U keep well!

D said...

you're doing excellent now (errr.. dont really know how it was like before). Yes, kids do need to be reminded of things more solid in life - definitely not material wealth. But the extras somehow DO make us happier, eh? Nice to have some ONE around...

Kak Teh said...

well said, msistanbul. Keep warm. was with ruby yesterday with a promise of more meetings. Take care and kiss the lil one for me.

Ms B said...

Hi D,

Of course, material stuffs help to create some happiness. But sometimes in order to get "there" means you have to sacrifice a lot of your time now for a better future later. By then, our kids would have had their own things to do which wouldnt include us. And sometimes, questions like "where were you before?" etc arise.

No doubt, having SOMEONE is also good for the soul. :D

Kak Teh dear,

It's FREEZING here!!!! U manage to escape the dreadful weather. Lucky you.