Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A tale of milk and cereal

Somehow I am lacking of ideas to write, probably due to the effect of fasting. I did have one or two posts drafted in my thoughts but it seemed they were not appropriate (it wasnt x-rated mind you). They were just provoking e.g. the marriage institution, the concept of love, of being a muslim etc.

Perhaps I shall write about the young lady's view on fasting.

It's a habit for me to wake up for sahur, even when I stayed on my own at the age of 18. However, instead of the usual rice and dishes (which includes salty egg and dried fish), mine consists of a mug of hot drink and bread. I cant stuff myself too much in the morning but I simply have to eat something, especially back then when the weather was blazing hot and iftar was after 9pm.

It happened a few years ago, I think she just turned 4. I remembered one morning when I prepared for my sahur, the place we lived back then was small (I had a hefty child-care expenses and my earnings was much less than now). I supposed the noise from the kitchen woke the young lady. From the bedroom, I could hear her tiny voice asking for me. I went inside and stroked her to go to sleep but her eyes were saying otherwise. She asked, "what are you doing mummy?"

I explained to her that I was going to eat as I'd be fasting. "May I join you?" she said without hesitation.

It was a weekend and we could sleep in, unlike on a normal working day which meant we needed to be on time to the nursery and my office. So I thought, why not.

So she waited patiently at the dining table while I prepared her milk and cereal. We then sat and enjoyed sahur together. From then onwards, she does her best to keep me company in the morning. Of course this is only allowed on weekends.

Eventually she developed an interest to fast. I only allowed her to do half day when she was five. When she was six, she managed to complete a few days. Perhaps one day I shall share the story with you but for now, I will leave as it is. To me, those moments were precious, having her to join me in the wee hours of the morning.

.

15 comments:

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms B...ahhh what a great moment...;-)

Anonymous said...

Your approach is good - developed interest through example, i like that! :)

Was talking to hubs the other day on how parents nowadays stresses so much on puasa, instead of solat. Up to the level puasa gets rewards, but I've never heard of rewards for solat though. ;)

I'm not yet sure the best approach to train Imtiyaz in the future. BIG challenge!

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

salty egg? i love salty egg for sahur :D as mucn as i love it with nasi kerabu ;)

Hunny said...

That is really sweet, Ms B. You're lucky to have such an adorable 'teman' for sahur :)

I've always believe that the best way to teach a person is by leading by example rather than to preach at him/her.

Naz in Norway said...

Hi!
I don't reward my kids with money for puasa. I want them to fast for all the right reasons.

D said...

hehe... reminds me of my undergraduate days when I used to laugh at other friends in different households who had toasts and cereal for sahoor. A few years later, I joined them!

Ramadhan kareem to you and the little lady!

IDB said...

your little one is so sweet! and she was so thoughtful too at the tender age of 4...now you make me want a daughter too, haha!

Ms B said...

danial,

indeed it was a precious moment. her gesture touched me.

Ms B said...

momster,

i realise if we take the effort and time to explain to kids, they somehow appreciate and understand the need to do something.

i am sure u'll find the right way to get tru imtiyaz. :-) just be patient and each child has different development path and method.

Ms B said...

jane,

alamak! i love nasi kerabu!!!! i wonder when these malaysian restaurants will serve it. they sometimes do on weekends.

Ms B said...

hunny,

i know. it was a sweet moment and it was easy to wake her up in the morning (even now).

and you are right. it is easier for kids to accept when they see we are doing it. it also helps when we explain the reason behind them.

Ms B said...

naz,

same here. in fact, i dont think the young lady has ever heard such method. i'm sure she'll be surprised if one day we happen to be fasting in msia and hear kids being given such "incentive".

Ms B said...

D,

toast and cereal are common at my place. *grins* tried to eat rice for sahur but ended up with a very small portion (like those small nasi lemak bungkus).

ps: must get desserts recipes from u.

Ms B said...

IDB,

i am sure aidan can be thoughtful too. just train him well. *winks*

Hazia said...

That is so sweet.

I normally have oats & fruits for sahur. Selamat berpuasa:)