Saturday, October 04, 2008

When was the last time you got away?

Booth: You ever just, you know, sit on the beach, pretend there is no such thing as skeletons?
Brennan: Is that in any way fun?
Booth: When was the last time you got away?
Brennan: Got away from what?
Booth: Oh, Bones. You know, cause what usually happens to me, I think about not coming back.
Brennan: Seriously?
Booth: Yeah, you know, you go with someone, you joke about not going back to your real life, the two of you laugh. But, when you're alone the world is full of possibilities.

I have taken a few trips on my own since university. I guess the idea of being away to a foreign place, where no one knows you, makes it appealing. You can be whoever you want to be, without being judged. Even if they do, you couldn’t care less. Chances are, they wont be seeing you again. As you are on your own, you are bound to ask the locals for directions, tips or advice. Most of them are helpful, especially since you try your best to speak their language using the basic phrases provided by the guide books. Even when I am away for business purpose, I make it a point to do some sightseeing, usually on my own. I just ask the receptionist to arrange for a cab and tour the city. Sometimes I will tell them to drop me off at the favourite spots where you can take a stroll endlessly.

Of course it is good to be on a holiday with a partner. You take a break from your normal routine and rekindle the passion. Still, you cant run away from expectations. You want it to be the perfect trip and somehow, with the pressure, it can ruin the moment.

A solo trip gives you an opportunity to explore new things. Every place has its own attractions, be it arts, history, food or shopping. Each has its own vibes and atmosphere. Somehow, it evokes certain thoughts and makes you reflect on your life.

Sometimes when I take that stroll at those famous boulevards, take that mocha at a cafe or dinner at a nearby restaurant, I will always end up in deep thoughts. I tend to reflect what I want without factoring anything.

Somehow, a trip on your own leads to many possibilities, as proven in my case many times. It is a matter of choice whether we want to explore the door. Besides, you wouldn’t know what is in store until you give it a try.

Anyway, today I explored one huge door. I know it is going to be a big stepping stone for me but at least I am giving it a try. If the firm has strong faith and is willing to take the risk on me, why should I not give myself a chance? My past sometimes makes me discount myself but over the years, I learn to shake them off. Sometimes I forget that many people see that I am already “there”. Like my MD said, there is no point for them to give an opportunity to someone who does not buy-in the idea.

So I guess I have to be a shopaholic, eh? *smiles*

*Both Ms B and mini Ms B look forward to their next holiday, although at present Ms B has yet to decide the location. She has booked her leave but undecided where to go. Either a trip to the beach or Florence just for the sake of visiting their designer outlets in order to get Italian handbags at just 200 euros.*

5 comments:

Melb said...

Florence!

Hazia said...

The first time I went for a solo trip (I mean beyond Singapore) was end of last year. Yeah, it was different, enriching, you talk more with locals and absorb the sights and sounds more too, I think:)

SYUKS said...

wow...u really need a mocha to make you think extensively...he he
Anyway... i did few solo tour myself last time.. yeah u get to see people more during the tour..some i even make good friends with...
Happy Holiday to wherever your next destination will be ...

Ms B said...

Hi ms curvy,

I think most women who love shopping will chose florence. *LOL*

Hi hazia,

a trip on your own, near of far, always gives a different perspective. Once I treated myself to a nite stay at a luxury hotel not far from home just to unwind. What a bliss!

Ms B said...

Thanks syuks!

For me, I usually think of the practical side of life but when I am away, there is a moment or tendency to just let loose and day dream. *smiles*

I tend to think about my passion, my wish list, the next holiday trip, etc. I've made a few friends e.g. Mr Milan. A good thing too cos I get to watch football!!!

Keep well dear!