Friday, July 04, 2008

Friendship revisit

"Our true friends are those who are with us when the good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with their sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives." The Zahir: Paulo Coelho

I read the book a few months ago but somehow, recent events reminded me the above statement. I have this feeling that some people are not happy with the good things in my life at the moment.

There are times that you just can’t be bothered with some friends. Then again, if the above statement is true, are they exactly your true friends?

I believe we are capable to achieve the impossible dreams, or even better, our wish list. The only thing that is stopping us is ourselves, specifically, our minds. Good things do not come easily. I worked hard for the promotion. I had my fair share of late nights, thorough self review, taking more responsibilities from my directors etc. I have been managing home affairs on my own ever since the lil one came into my life. I know it took me longer than others to get recognised but I feel the time is right. I am in a better position to balance both roles, being a mother and climbing the career ladder.

It helps when you are surrounded by successful friends; Mrs Rock, Mrs Dior, Ms Versatile, Mr Milan, The Godfather etc. Every little thing helps, from treating us dinner to taking care of my lil one when I am away.

I am grateful for all the good things in my life; a lovely daughter, a good (or great) career and a dear friend (yet to be defined). Yet, it amazes me when people say things that make me feel I don’t deserve them.

Maybe I should consider the meaning of friendship. Maybe I should consider who should be my friends. I think I need a mental break from these people.

Seriously.

1 comment:

zah said...

Dear Ms Istanbul,
Sometimes it breaks our heart to know that our friends talk about us behind our back and said few not so good things about us.. Let them talk... they'll stop when they're tired.. in the mean time, prove that they are wrong.. And yes - start defining real friends and friends.. take care.