Thursday, January 10, 2008

Of an age

After much persuasion from Uncle D, I finally let him to get something for me. Uncle D can be considered as my god-uncle. Each time we bump into each other, he always makes time for me and my girl. He remembers the lil girl’s favourite dish and will always call us if Malaysia Hall serves it that day. People refer him as his title but to me, he is my dear uncle D, who never fails to give his words of wisdom. Despite having good friends such as The Steelman (if you read Forbes/business times, you’ll know whom I’m referring to), The Chairman of UK football clubs, etc, he remains humble. I was very happy and felt privileged that today he not only went to buy my birthday gift, he also took the time to drop by at my office to pass it to me. We had coffee and managed to spend an hour catching up.

I wanted to get this particular Gucci watch for the past 1 ½ years but it has never gone on sale! So it took me by surprise when Uncle D got something better than that. A Baume Mercier watch, simple yet classy. Uncle D really has good taste. Typical accountant, I googled it and the price tag almost pop my eye balls! Thank you so much Uncle D. Not only for the gift but also your time for seeing me, a small person and nowhere compare to your rich and famous friends.

My close colleague said that I’m in the wrong profession. With the people I know, I should be doing private banking for UHNW (ultra high net worth) people. The bonus for this profession is definitely more than a year’s salary (some may be looking in the region of millions!). I love my current role and if I ever move, I’ll take Uncle D’s advice to join BBB (bulge bracket banks) and slave myself for a few years. Then, hopefully, I will make my big break.

Also, for the first time, I had many people wishing me. Many sms received, family and old friends. Dragon Lady, Alchemist, CB (thanks for saying that I’m the hottest mama! *winks*) and Ms Magistrate. Mr Milan called all the way from China to wish me. My beloved secretary got a cute cupcake complete with candles, and sang for me (quietly of course. Told her not to tell everyone).

As for the love of my life, my precious angel. She has been singing since last night. She told her class-mates and teachers the day before and everyone wished me. When we got back from school, she passed me the card she wrote earlier. Thank you my love!

It was indeed a wonderful day.

7 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Ms Istanbul, wow, when you mentioned 'Malaysia Hall'....I still remember Bryanston Square. Right? I stayed there 3 months in 1962. Used to walk to Hyde park corner listen to the speakers tembak angin.
Gosh, you sure have a nice Uncle D there.
And you sure have good taste in watches too, ha ha.
Drop in when free, Ms Istanbul, just posted continuation last night. Best regards, Lee.

Unknown said...

Hello Ms Istanbul,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY my dear.

Hey, all the wish and thoughts and yes that one big prezzie from Uncle D, would surely have made this birthday a memorable one.

In my own experiences of yo-yo-ing in the financial department, I have learnt, in the final analysis, it is not the price of the items that counts but it is the care from the person that counts.

I think the most meaningful prezzie here must surely be that special card from lil Ms D!

Lee said...

Hello Ms Istanbul, I cannot forgive myself, I missed wishing you, Happy Birthday! Many happy returns to you, and may you always be as you are today, classy, warm, passionate and ahemm, sentimental. Best wishes, Ms Istanbul.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.
Keep well, Ms Istanbul, you sure one classy lady. Lee.
ps, Ruby replied to your comment in my place, ha ha.

Ms B said...

Kak Ruby dear,

Thank you so much! Yes, it is not about the gift. It is the thoughts, the effort, the gestures. Be it from anyone. Uncle D really made an effort, took his time to go shopping and came to my office. This is a man who knows people in the billionaire list! I'm so insignificant but he made my day special.

Of course lil one did all out. She mentioned to her class-mates, her teachers, her weekend friends, to the waiters who served us on Friday night etc. She is such an angel.

Uncle Lee,

Thank you! Hheheh... its ok. You were too excited with your Irene posting til you forgot to wish me. hahahha... Hopefully I can be classier each day.

And thank you for the lovely statement. "What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."

U take care uncle!

udinb said...

Selamat Harijadi Ms Istanbul, saya mendoakan agar anda dan lil Ms Istanbul akan terus hidup dalam suasana aman, tenteram dan kebahagiaan di London.

Lee said...

Hi Ms Istanbul, you know, you reside in London, but your callsign 'Istanbul'?
At first I thought you really in Istanbul. Maybe got Gypsy background, very exotic too, ha ha.
Istanbul always reminds of that James Bond movie, from Russia with love, showing Istanbul, and those exotic Gypsy girls.
Anyway, no need to answer the above curiosity.
But I am going to guess you a slim, very beautiful lady, long shoulder length hair. Howszat? Okay, no need answer this one too. Just being cheeky as nothing on TV tonight and I got no blog construction to do....yet. Ha ha. Rehat dua hari before start next episode.
You keep well, Ms London,*wink*. Lee.

Ms B said...

Hi Udinb,

Thanks for the wish!

Uncle,

hahahha...and u thought I've beeb residing in Istanbul all these while. There is a story behind the name. It's like the place where you took your Dom Perigno (if you know what I mean). It was like my soulsearching has ended then. *smiles*