Friday, September 14, 2007

Ramadhan

I hope I’m not too late to wish you a meaningful ramadhan. Work has been hectic for the past few days but thankfully, yesterday my work was done and managed to leave before 6pm, just in time to buy some delicacies for iftar (my nanny arranged the main course).

Had parents-teachers meeting this morning and was told that lil has EXAMs this year. Parents are expected to be more involved with their child’s progress and do simple things ie read books before they go to bed, ask them to count whenever we go shopping etc. I’m more stressed out about this than lil of course. She thinks school is fun and stress-free. Well, it should be. Just that being a mom makes me more paranoid about education.

I remember when I was young, my parents weren’t that fussed on my education and achievements. Guess they weren’t worried, compare to the attention they gave to my younger siblings. But you know, it’d be nice had they showed some concerns or interests, regardless how well I perform. It’s just about giving emotional support. I’m sure they know I could perform well but giving that support will give an edge.

Got a text from MJ, said he has meetings in London in 2 weeks time. Hopefully we can squeeze time for dinner. I’m so tempted to ask him to bring kuih raya but knowing he likes to travel light (especially when you are business travelling with lots of things in your mind), I rather not. Looks like I have to let go my pineapple tart and London almond cookies. Hmmm, unless I go nuts and browse for recipes, make them over the weekend. I barely have time to cook, let alone baking cookies!!! Dream on, girl.

I’m hosting iftar tomorrow. Just among few friends. Actually, it’s more like a request as 2 of them will be away next week, so this week is convenient for them. The challenge is to make ayam percik (chicken grilled with coconut milk), FIRST time! I just feel like eating ayam percik these days. I sure hope I have a good recipe ie something easy to follow with high success rate. Heheheh….

Might have iftar with McDreamy next week. He said we’ll try to make iftar together. I promised him to challenge myself with his homeland’s dishes (still browsing recipe for this too. But I know someone who is willing to email me her own recipe. Thank you dear!)

Hmm…all these food talking is hazardous during fasting month. *wink*

Ps: I wonder when Grey’s Anatomy Season 2 dvd will be out here? Should have bought them while I was back home…

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ms Istanbul,

I am having an absolutely free Sunday today. So I hopped over here to menyibuk. Heyyy...yeah kids homework is more stressful for parents. I went thru that rigmarole.

Gish! Iftars upon iftars..invites I mean. Tak terkejar. I had one at Coca, that was scrumptious. I had steam boat. Enjoy your cooking events. Love to you and lil one. Hugs.

D said...

Errr, you've had parent's evening already?? Must be some posh school that is! Ahaks... Can I come over for iftar?? (Muka tak malu?)

Anonymous said...

Kak Ruby dear,

Saw your comment at uncle lee's. You utilise your free day fully. heheh...

Btw, cooking was a success, courtesy to the recipe of course. Easy to follow, high success rate. Lil ate twice! Iftar and supper.

Oh oh, lil managed to fast until 3pm!!! I'm so proud of her. Next week, insya-allah full day. I only let her fast on weekends.

Hugs to u too!

Hi D,

Thanks for dropping by. Yea.. Had parents meeting already. Buat stress jer. heheh... u wanna come for iftar? BUt I think you cook better than me. :D

Lee said...

Hello Ms Istanbul, thrilled to have you visit my pondok.
I see you love 'ayam percik'? Oh yeah! Me too.
Those days my work took me to Kota Bahru, Trengganu almost every two weeks and without fail I terus go to the pasar malams or restaurants and its either ayam percik or ikan percik.
Typing this now I can get the aroma, ha ha. And oh yes, I was crazy over Trengganu's nasi dagang.
I think the ayam or ikan percik made in East coast is slightly different to West coast? They put their own secret rempah I think as the aroma better than a woman's perfume, arhaaa ha ha. Just kidding.
Ms Istanbul, you have a good Ramadhan. My very best regards to you and all at home. Keep well, UL.

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle,

Thanks for coming. I had strong craving of ayam percik that I decided to give it a go! Friends love it but I owe it to the good recipe. Simple with high success rate. :-)

I love all the local delights, especially the ulam. Hence, nasi kerabu has always been my fav. More because it has loads of ulam mixed to it.

I remember what Ruby said, there is one ingredient which makes a dish lovely. It's LOVE. A mother to her child (no wonder my lil girl eats twice as much when I cook!).

U keep well too!

simah said...

tadi i ada email u.. will continue with the suggestion ...i didnt realise that that request was to serve mc dreamy... jap i rethink the menu again :0)
malam nanti i sambung email.. housechores waiting..

Lee said...

Hi Ms Istanbul, have a nice Ramadhan. Best regards, UL.