Monday, November 14, 2011

Cafe revisited

I wonder why people assume cafés are the best place to discuss issues not meant for the light-hearted. Ellen once highlighted this and recently I had an unpleasant encounter of such meeting which didn’t end up well.

I presumed this couple was on the verge of separation or finalising their divorce. The topic was the guy’s access to the kids which I think was increased from fortnightly to weekly. It was a good thing, however, the guy lives quite far and commuting to London weekly was not practical.

Imagine his horror when the rationale for this proposal was to give mum more time with her new beau.

Then the next topic was trust funds which the lady wanted to increase age of full access so that she has control of the money. Somehow image of that Beetles’ guy and his ex-wife crossed my mind. At this point, the guy was fuming mad and stormed out. I don’t blame him as I would probably go nuts as well.

I had to keep a straight face reading the newspaper when this couple was right behind me, trying to keep their conversation under control.

Totally awkward!

No comments: