Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Colour of skin

Having spent two thirds of my adult life abroad and frequent travel to most of the European cities, not once have I felt different from others. At school or nursery, I am just a regular mom who takes interest in her daughter’s progress and her friends. At workplace, I never let being a woman, or a single mother, stop me from achieving my potential or grabbing as many opportunities, of course within my limit.

The colour of my skin has also never been an issue. In fact, being a few shades darker makes me more appealing in this country, be it both men and women. Guys think I’m exotic whilst ladies feel I’m lucky not to spend any dime on tanning service. More often than not, whenever I travel to Southern Europe, people tend to speak to me in their mother tongue thinking I am one of them. In fact, once I was cursed for not being able to speak their language as this man, a shop owner by the way, thought I was a native and felt it was an insult.

Ironically, I’m comfortable in my own skins in predominately white or fairer places.

Much can be said when I go home or visit another Asian city. An image of perfectly white complexion is splashed everywhere thinking that it is a ticket to get a man, land a job or call for good customer service. My appearance becomes a benchmark by my fellow countrymen or regional-mate (er, is there such term?).

I have heard many horrifying stories on the way sales assistants treat when they see someone of a darker skin or people who dress casually entering their boutique. It seems they have been programmed that these groups do not have what it takes to splurge in their stores, thus unworthy to be given any customer service. A friend once went into a shop famous for monogram designs just after Friday prayers. Naturally he was without his jacket and wore those popular Japanese slippers. NO one bothered to serve him. Tired by the way he was being treated, he called the boutique manager, flashed his card and said he wanted 10 items from that shop pronto. Those sales assistants scrambled around, picked the items and wrapped them. Before he left, he gave them his piece of mind and I bet their face turned red.

Another friend had similar incident. Married to an European and used to casual attire, she decided to go to that famous towers and entered a boutique. She wanted to have a look at a handbag but they said it was for display only, with a very irritating tone of voice. Furious by their attitude, she left only to return the next day looking very posh and husband in arm. They were speechless and tried to sell her a goodie but she told them off, saying she rather spent her money elsewhere.

It doesn’t help much when our other half isn’t bald or has very few salt hair, no belly and devilishly good-looking. Whispers of “the maid snagged the boss” probably played in their mind. They wonder how this “ugly duckling” got so lucky and start to make ridiculous assumptions.

Somehow they forget that these so-called “maids” happen to have world-class education, top notch career and not forgetting, the right charms and personality. They do not have to be a swan to nail a good man. Latte or mocha skin, it should not be a tool to judge a person.

It is just sad that I feel different in places where I shouldn’t. Never mind. Now where is my apron? The young lady is expecting warm puffs for her tea today
.

14 comments:

Jumper said...

Imagining Ms B, the coloured lady donning an apron to hit the kitchen for a tea-time task...I see the like of Miss Lopez in the 'Maid In Manhattan'. It's sexy, to say the least. Ha ha ha
Now cheer up, ok?

Hazrey said...

spot on.

hugs and kisses to your younger version from me and honey.

Naz in Norway said...

We stay true to ourselves, MsB. What others think of us is of no significance whatsoever.

The Momster said...

Assumptions everywhere! Whatever those people think, whisk it off and walk off proudly. They don't have the life you have anyway! ;)

Ms B said...

Jumper,

I actually had that in my mind as the title for this post. *grins* It's just a small glitch but I think it'd be a long way for these people to evolve.

Ms B said...

Hi Hazrey,

Yeah. It is just annoying when your own "people" being judgemental.

Ms B said...

Naz,

It baffles me on the way people react or behave when they see someone not fitting their checklist. I'll better be prepared for more stares and smirks.

Ms B said...

Momster,

*grins* yeah yeah. Maybe I should arm myself with shield and sword while walking, just in case it gets out of control. Unleash the dragon. *lol*

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms.B...no wonder the late michael jackson bleached his skin...hehehhee...

IDB said...

hehe...i love (daniel)(ma)'s comment!
anyway, i really don't care what people think of me when I walk into those boutiques back home, seriously! i dont even bother dressing up sometimes, what do they know...hehe...but i have to say, some SAs are nice, and some...errr, looneys!

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

Hi Ms B :)
being different is an advantage sometimes. people tend to give you more attention. and i feel, sometimes, being different is quite motivating :)

Ms B said...

Danial,

*lol* now that's a good one.

Ms B said...

IDB,

I feel it's a common attitude among Asians, esp those SAs. Good customer service is just not in their vocab. sigh...

Ms B said...

Jane,

Somehow the young lady agrees on this, seeing how much fun she is getting for having a crazy mum. *grins*