Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Opportunity and holiday

A friend of mine, who just went back for good, sent me an sms over the weekend. He is now with one of the largest investment bank back home. Apparently the team is still looking for people and he mentioned my name to the head of department. That guy wants to get to know me. So my friend asked whether I’m interested and ready to settle down back in KL.

It took me a while to think about this opportunity. I politely declined. I think it’s not the right time yet. My current position allows me to gain valuable experience. Even after a year of experience, I have already increased my market value by at least 20%, excluding bonus (based on what head hunters have been offering me). Bonus would be between 30%-80% of annual salary (some banks/PE houses offer ridiculously high!). Also, I’d like to taste my bonus with the firm. I know it’s not as lucrative as others but I’m sure it’ll cover a few holiday trips for me and the lil one next year. But most importantly, time with my precious daughter, seeing her growing up. It’s not that I don’t get to do so back home but I seriously felt my life was hectic back then. I doubt it’ll change now.

I mentioned the offer to the Dragon Lady and her answer was, “do you want to get a slap from me?!? The question is not even worth to be considered.” Oh well, we both had our fair share of very late nights and stressful deadlines. She’s enjoying her work life balanced in the land Down Under. Doubt she’ll ever go back.

The lil one is planning for another holiday trip. I think it’s been only 3 weeks that we had the Disney trip. This morning, on our way to school, she said she wants to see Spain. We went there before, Madrid, some time last year. Our first holiday, just me and her. It was really cool! I mean, I was nervous of course. Praying hard that things would go well. Thankfully, it did.

We are going back to Malaysia some time in August but I’m hoping we can squeeze a holiday before that. Maximising summer and the sun. I would love to see Istanbul again but the flights are flying rockets. Otherwise, there is the term break in October or Christmas break.

I used to dream of travelling around the world. I just couldn’t believe that I’m actually doing it now and what makes it sweeter is that I get to do it with my beloved girl. Thanks love! You are truly mummy’s best friend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ms Istanbul,

I think you did the right thing to decline that offer.

Hey, do get in touch when you are here in August. Mail me your hp. Aug 18th is our 60th Anniversar dinner..he he.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kak Ruby,

Will do. I'll email my contact details. But dont think will attend the anniversary. :D