Monday, May 18, 2009

The other (or dark) side of networking

While checking my inbox this morning, I was surprised by the influx from an unknown sender. It seems that I am a part of a group (corporate related) back home. Today was the first time that I heard of such society, so you could imagine my surprise upon knowing that I am part of it. There is nothing bad about it. In fact, from what I gathered, it is beneficial for those who are interested.

Put it this way, even if I knew about it, my friends know me too well that there is no way that I would sign myself to join them. There are things in life that, no matter tempting or good it may sound, I am just not into it.

As I scrolled down the emails, I finally saw a familiar name in one of them. I have this feeling that this person added my name to the list. I am sure he meant well as he has been trying to get me to share my experience and knowledge for as long as I can remember. However, as I mentioned before, I have certain rules when it comes to email. In fact, since one email address of mine has been used for forwarded emails or discussions among certain people which have nothing to do with me, I had to create another personal email which only a handful of friends know its existence. Thus, when I realised my office email was used for something similar, I got a bit annoyed. *sigh*

I do see the benefits of networking. In fact, I apply this approach all the time. Yet, when people misuse or unable to draw the line, it creates inconvenience to others, or at some occasions, to us.

Take FB for example. I know some colleagues are into it but as far as I know, they are online whenever they are free which by the way is not frequent enough. They are not the type who updates their status every hour. Even my PA who probably has the most time online couldn’t be bothered to do so.

A friend once complained that she has too many FB “friends” and it is pretty difficult for her to decline as she is considered a celebrity in her country, which I only found out how big she was when I chatted with a girl from the same place. Another friend created a bogus FB profile because of similar reason and makes sure his current circle consists of people he considers genuine.

Most importantly, it can be quite scary when we spend more time online than the physical act of meeting people itself, as highlighted in this article:


“People can use the sites to make new acquaintances outside their departments and groups, and users can extend their networks beyond the traditional workplace. But people can use the sites too much and as a consequence give less time to meeting with co-workers in person.

You need to be careful to make sure that social networking sites aren't encroaching on your office time. More than an hour a day is excessive. Worse, spending too much time on the sites can disrupt your balance between work and private time. It can also take you out of your family time.”


I like to keep myself updated through the old-fashioned way; phone calls, lengthy emails or coffee time, either with friends or my so-called corporate networks. In some ways, I am still old school. As the article concluded, "If they aren't people you would talk to in "real life," you probably are wasting time."

You can continue reading
here.

*Ms B had an awesome time spending the day with a friend over the weekend at their favourite hangout, tho she is unsure if her purse agrees. In her defense, she feels the bargain was worth it.*

12 comments:

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms.B...we can't avoid it and most of the time it really annoying one...

p.s.: have a great summer and i will a little bit less active blogging because of limited internet access...

HH said...

Privacy is most definitely ours to protect.

I, for one, sees mine as sacred and its impeachment as a definite no-no. There are things that I am willing to broadcast about my life while there are some that I insist on keeping it private. A some number of people would be lucky to share this privacy and I call it a privillege.

Although others may not view this act as sensical, it bothers me that the privilleged ones violates my trust. This is the point where I turn the other side and mask myself as Lord Vader.

Cosmic_GurL said...

Hello my dear! Gosh, it's been a long time eh? Hehehehe...
I have to admit Im still hooked on FB. Even though I dont update my status every hour la but it's nice to see wht my friends are up to by reading their status..hehehe...

Unknown said...

networking should be beneficial. if it take us off the trail, no point of spending time too much on it, right? :)
and yes, it is annoying when our privacy being breached.
but then again, i'm still hooked on FB hahahah :D

Ms B said...

Hi Danial,

I know but it bugs me when my email was used (or my name was added) without consent.

Hope you are enjoying your break despite the weather. *winks* I am planning to spend the summer here.

Ms B said...

LHM,

Now that is worth considering ie being Lord Vader. Easier to wear a mask.

Some people dont mind sharing the world of the nitty gritty details of their life. But for some of us, privacy is something we care a lot.

Ms B said...

CG dear,

Indeed it has been a long time. Was wondering what happened. Hope all is well and judging by the entry, it seems you do, esp with the food galore.

Yeah, i know. I suppose it is similar to blogging. We keep checking for updates too.

Ms B said...

Akmal,

Point noted.

Ah, I am sure most people are hooked on FB. It is hard to resist the temptation. *grins*

Jumper said...

I'm think FB has been littered with all sort of virtual nonsence. Reading and responding hundreds of emails that come daily has been a challenge for me that is far greater than running for the whole 1 hour. These put me in the group of surat khabar lama....

Ms B said...

Jumper,

same here! Sometimes when I know the emails are not related to me, i simply delete without reading.

I think I just like the personal touch.

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

truly a no-nonsense Capricorn person eh? heheh..

i'm not really a type of person that loves to make acquaintance virtually or in reality. i love to share details bout my private life but i hope that my identity remains a secret. just like you do missB. *wink*

p/s thinking of starting a new blog.. heheheh..

... said...

i dont FB / myspace etc for a reason that i do not want to be 'tracked down' by some people from the past. haha, guess i'm weird that way.