Friday, May 29, 2009

A bucket of cold water

At times I can be a surprise to myself. I am not the type who ticks others off but when one is left with no choice but to fend herself, I just had to do it. Not willing to be tackled down by those office jesters, especially since I am paying their salaries i.e. I am the fee earner and they are the cost centre, I ticked them off.

There aren’t many women, or to be précised, mothers, in my line of work. Many choose to leave after a child or two and with the recession, it makes senses for one to take the break and spend their time with the kids (a nanny costs a hole in the purse).

Thus, I remain undeterred by the new office politics and I am sure many are not happy with the situation. Yet, we remain hopeful that things will turn around and our knights aka the old bosses will make a comeback and save us all (sounds like the scenes in LOTR).

Oh well, at least there have been a few good happenings. Barcelona won and my Spanish friends and probably the rest of non-MU fans were delighted by the results. *grins* The books have arrived and the young lady was very pleased. A director who is also a friend saw them and said that my home must be full of books, and probably bags too.

Indeed she saw the new arm candy. I have been eyeing if for quite a while but never bothered to get as I already have a rare one which I mentioned in the Magic Word post. Yet, how could one resist when it was the runway collection, on seriously damn good sale and the only one left? It was probably equivalent to some people 'langkah kanan' moments. I couldn’t believe my eyes as I walked into the store.

I know, lame excuse. Can someone please splash a bucket of iced cold water on me?

*Ms B had overdosed herself with day and night at the museum. She hopes Mini B would not come up with an idea to visit the biggest place of history collection, no matter how tempting it may sound.*

8 comments:

n.i. said...

same here... but recently i think i might have offended a few people (including my immediate superior)... I have been so vocal, I speak without thinking! I just couldn't help myself...

it was VERY unlikely of me to do so but patience has its limit, right? and i am SICK of being bullied while the non-performers/efficient get to get away with things... but I don't care, I have myself to take of hahahaha (evil laugh)...

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

i guess it happens everywhere. i myself had this on-the-top-of-the-voice-pitch 'conversation' with one of the superiors who always tries to make me do job which is not mine (obviously his) and take all the credit by himself and then make you feel like you did not perform at all. as if i'm done with all my own piling-up tasks.

but i'm so glad. he never bugged me again. in my 2nd year in the work place i made it clear of what kind girl/lady they are dealing with.

p/s: house with many2 books and bags = house of smart+brainy+trendy ladies i guess. hehe.

Hazia said...

Well done! Sounds like you have your feet firmly planted on the ground:)

Anonymous said...

hope all is well at work!

and a new arm candy... yumms! :D

Ms B said...

n.i.,

I have always been the minority from the start of my career; gender and race. I learn to emphasise my strengths at my own pace. The good leaders usually spot hidden jewels, thus i'm not so fussed.

But yes, it is competitive esp in my line. One must demand for recognition and rewards. If you are ready for the challenge, then ask.

tapi sekali sekala kena jugak jadik evil witch kan...? *lol*

Ms B said...

Jane,

Actually, it is less obvious here, so I consider myself lucky. Once in a while we do have those "office jesters" moments that cant be avoided.

*grins* Love your last statement! people hv been asking about the bag, just like the shoes and trench coat moments.

May you have a beautiful wedding!

Ms B said...

Hazia,

I think all of us must learn to make a stand. At the same time we must learn to accept positive criticism. A partner once told that often we are too diplomatic when it comes to feedback/appraisals. We are afraid of telling the truth even when we know it is for the benefit of the person.

Ms B said...

MOmster,

all is fine now. phew.

I am unsure if the arm candy was the result of stressful events. *lol* excuses excuses.