Friday, September 12, 2008

What did you want to be?

"I ask Jules if she'd like to do that, but she remains committed to a career in the ballerina industry. "I wanted to be a ballerina when I was 5," I say, pirouetting to the refrigerator for a couple of eggs. "So what stopped you?""

I am sure eventually we will be asked the same question by our lil ones. I cant remember what I wanted to be when I was a child. Actually, there are many things of my childhood that I cant remember. Perhaps it is my ability to block certain memories. One thing for sure, whatever was related to my late grand parents, I seem to remember every single details. The trip to Pasar Tani near the river banks, daily visits to the wet market where we normally had our breakfast, the making of pickle sator (petai), etc.

I have been fascinated with numbers since young. I suppose my dream back then was to be anyone who sees figures on daily basis (oh yeah, ultimate nerd!).

It is different with my lil girl. She wants to be a jazz dancer. Of course, mummy dearest said that she can be whatever she wants to be once she completes her degree in architecture and starts earning her own money. See, am I smart or what? *LOL*

But then again, her interest in performing arts runs in the family. I too was a dancer, as well as a musician. I started performing when I was about her age, did almost every type of traditional and modern dance. As I entered high school, I always got to play the "man" role because of my height. When I finally got to perform as a lady, I did the candle dance (tarian lilin). Gosh! It was hard work ok, moving your butt slow and steady while balancing the candles.

My lil girl can really dance. Now this term, she gets to learn to play violin (and she still wants me to sign up piano and martial arts lessons!). Busy girl indeed!

As we grow older, our dreams change and we set a practical target. Some dreams are shattered but we pick up and move forward, using whatever information and resources to make it work. But hey, it is good to fantasize once in a while.


"You make the choices you make based on what you know about yourself and what you think you know about the world. And sometimes the world will turn around and break your heart, but other times, a 5-year-old will saunter in with three dolls wet from their swim lesson. The five of you will sit down to blueberry muffins, and the reality of what you wound up with will suddenly seem like the only possible choice -- it just couldn't have turned out any other way. "

Full article can be found here:
Daughter causes mom to ponder 'what if?'

So what did you want to be when you were young?

14 comments:

D said...

It's wonderful when people have dreams, especially if it's a rather out-of-this-world kinda thing! hehe - cute, i think. I recall one of my twin boys wanted to be an ultraman (or some other action figure), when prompted what he wanted to be when an adult. Reason? So that I can fly up to the sky and take the balloon I let go the other day! ahaks..

As a child I only wanted to be either one of these: a teacher or a doctor, and was pretty consistent with it. So now, I'm aiming to be both, though not the medical one. Would that be good enuf?

SYUKS said...

I have a dream to be in the music industry. i really wanted to play instrument and produce good music for the world to hear and appreciate.... but as i grew up, looking from the potential and diffrerent prospectives, i turned to my current profession. Piece of my heart still belong to my passion about music but yeah.. i don't have the time to pursue and to learn instrument at this very late age. Dreams are still dreams but realities are realities..and i believe i have choosen the later.

Melb said...

hi ms b, i wanted to be a teacher when i was little. Now, dont exactly get to be a teacher but i do some lecturing now aside from current demanding job. Yes, u are right, children will ask "mom, what was your ambition when you were young?".. they laughed when i said "a teacher"... "why" I asked.. "mommy garang!!" Anyway,i am happy to be able to lecture.. my way of saying thank you and give back to the community..

psst.. am not curvy sexy, i really curve and am not proud of it..

simah said...

remember cinderella (the original cartoon?)...
*dreams is a wish ur heart made... when u r fast asleep...in dreams uwll lose ur heartache..whatever u wish for u keep*...

it is simpler to dream than to face reality eh?

but in kungfu panda.. it was said.. the *the present is a gift*...

we should enjoy the gift as well.. no matter what the dreas r.. (yikes.. too much words from the movies heheeh)

u take care dear!

Ms B said...

D dear,

with kids, there is no limit in their imagination. Anything is possible, hence explains their care free behaviour and live life to its fullest. *smiles*

Guess u are getting both of your dreams. *smiles* Good or not, it is up to us decide. Well, we can be whatever we want to be but if we are not happy, whats the whole point, eh? *winks*

I believe you are having the best of both worlds.

Ms B said...

Hi syukur,

U wanted to be part of the music industry? Cool! AT least your dream is creative than mine. *smiles*

The way we were brought up (and our society) emphasised on being practical. Unlike my daughter, when one is taught to develop their interest, which can be anything.

Thats why i told her she can be the jazz dancer once she has done the "practical" side. *LOL*

Ms B said...

Hi ms curvy,

I cant be a teacher too! My siblings all agree I have no patience in teaching. *LOL*

I am thinking of taking dance lesson; salsa, latin etc. Keeping myself in tune with my passion.

Ah, how we appear in life should not stop us in getting what we want, more importantly being happy. *winks*

Ms B said...

simah dear,

Oh yes, I remember those movies. We all want to hold on to that dream. Some of them do come true but when some fail, there must be a reason behind it.

What we have now, the present, is the one which we must hold dear to our heart. *smiles*

We should not stop dreaming as it gives us hope and faith.

Hazia said...

Salam.
Beautiful dreams there...
I wanted to be many things when I was little. I'm grateful that I've achieved some of them, mainly to have my own book. And I shall keep on writing:)

... said...

i think i've forgotten most of my childhood dreams but i've many of current ones :p. can't live without one. perhaps just tiny teeny lil dreams, but will make me continue doing things.

have a good day (and sweet dreams) ms b.

Anonymous said...

Ms B,
I was around 7 or 8 yrs when I went to school in London (though only for 1 year), and I can relate why your l'il girl wants to be a jazz dancer coz I always pester my mum to send me for either tap dancing or ballet classes there!

but i remember wanting to be a doctor, in the beginning, followed by interior designer. and ended up nowhere near those! hehe.

Ms B said...

Salam hazia,

Thanks for dropping by! I think we had many dreams when we were young (and I'm sure some were really impossible *smiles*).

Reality is, we have to adjust our dream as we grow older and wiser. Most importantly, be content.

and when one of our dreams is materialised, it keeps us going. So keep on writing! *smiles*

Ms B said...

Hi darlene,

There is nothing wrong to be a dreamer, even at our age! Trust me, I am such a dreamer! *LOL* I'm sure it is so obvious tru my writings.

Dreaming is like food to our soul. *smiles*

Ms B said...

Momster dear,

Ah yes, I know u can relate to my girl. The education here is very different than back home.

No where near those? *LOL* Well, at least u had different dreams. But the current dream takes u everywhere (exotic land pulak tuh). *winks*

U keep well dear!