Sunday, September 07, 2008

Squints

Brennan: (close to tears) You know, I'm just...I'm just one of those people who doesn't get to be in a family.
Booth: Listen, Bones, hey. There's more than one kind of family. (He looks at her with concern, holding her chin. They're having a moment when Zack knocks at the window and signals them to come in) Well, Zack got the job, right?
Brennan: Come in and congratulate him.
Booth: Nah, he's your squints, not my squints.
Brennan: No, Booth! (takes him by the arm and drags him to the door) We are all of us your squints. Do me a favour and pat Zack on the shoulder with an open hand.

Over the last few days, when we were out and about doing our regular routine, I couldn’t stop smiling when familiar people greeted us. Among those were, the man with two daughters whom we normally bump into on our way to school. He asked about our holiday. Then Mrs Brazilian (she is so hot! Has 2 kids, 12 and 6 years old. Olive skin, with an hour glass body!). She was in front of the school door with her eldest, who is now in secondary school (Spanish). She mentioned how much she loves being here, away from the family. The cashiers at Tesco and Boots, the butcher, the fragile lady who does her daily walk accompanied by her dog, etc. Oh, even the girls at La Senza greeted us while we passed their shop! Yes, I am a regular there. Being single doesn’t mean I should not indulge myself with the latest design. If my friends have shoes/handbags fetish, mine would be lingerie. *winks* A girlfriend saw my collection and had this weird look on her face, “why on earth do you need this? You don’t even have a man.” Hey, who knows one day there will be a return on investments? *winks* Besides, I love being a woman. In addition, if you look good outside, shouldn’t you pay attention to what’s underneath too? *smiles*

Anyway, it just feels good that people around notice you. I mean, it’s a big city yet in my neighbourhood, I feel like I am living in a small village where everyone knows everyone.
I have friends and family back home but I guess part of the reason they spend time with us is because we are there for a short trip. Mr & Mrs Rock said people usually take it for granted when they know they are around for good. There is less effort to meet up. Usually the typical excuse given is that we are busy. Well, everyone is busy but surely if one wants to make time, it can be done.

Often we are caught up with our daily routine that we forget to smell the roses along the way.

We do not get unlimited chances to have the things we want. Nothing is worse than missing an opportunity that could have changed your life.

Ps: Fasting has been quite a challenge, especially the past two days when I almost fainted. Thus yesterday I forced myself to eat more, made baked fish mediterranean style and choc pudding as desserts. Today, chicken briyani with lamb kurma (special request from the lil one and I'm only cooking for two!).

4 comments:

D said...

hey, we are similar! I too just love lingerie, and don't think I'll ever stop buying them pretty ones at La Senza or anywhere else! *wink!*

as for looking good on the outside, i've taken the opposite direction ever since actually. i don't even put lipstick on now. HaHa. u gotta help me get back on track, gurl, because my senses have gone numb. I don't want to attract a single man out there!

on a different note, after 10 months and 8 days, today I declare that I've actually gained my confidence!!! Yee HAaaa...

ps; ok, no more excuses, let's have coffee! LOL

Lee said...

Ms B, I always believe our life today is not a dress rehearsal...we only get to go one round.
And you're right re friends and family 'back home'....we have returned, but times, places, old friendship no longer the same, and it was always, "time" the excuse.

But being hee where people know us, just like you, stores we frequent, people we meet in the park often, etc...we find the time to chat whether about the weather or Sarah Palin or Cindy.

I always treat everyday as it might be the last day.

Hey, love people who shop at La Sensa, Victoria's secret, or La vie en rose, *wink*...these are very ahemmm, interesting not to mention exciting people, ha ha.

Ms B...you are one of a kind...glad I know you, *wink*.
Have a great week and don't forget the lip gloss, Lee.

Ms B said...

OMG!! U know we should go shopping together. *winks*

Hey dear, remember, BABY steps. It took me some time to get back on track. Instead of putting lipsticks, try lip gloss or lip balm. *winks* And always remember, we do it for our own and not to please others (oh, u can do it for the kids).

One big hug to you for gaining that confidence. U deserve it!

Ms B said...

Hi Lee,

Oh yes, the more I think about it, the more I feel London is home to me and my girl. The familiar faces, the greetings, the extra servings given when ordered... The little things that counts.

Ha ha, never underestimate people. They say, those who are demure and sweet are actually more interesting that the sexy ones. *LOL*

U keep well!