Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Faking & blending


Booth: Yeah, by now I usually have a feel for the person, what they wanted, how they felt, what was going on in their lives. With this girl, nothing.
Brennan: She thought she was ugly. She did everything she could to make herself beautiful. And all she did was make herself more invisible.

I caught up with Professor Fox yesterday, a friend who has known me for almost 2 decades (crap! Now I really feel old.*rolling eyes*). We talked about people from the past and how our society has changed. It was not the first that I heard about people becoming materialistic. In fact, I was told that there was a show which covered the worrying trend among the young(er) generation of resorting to “tapping their assets” for an easy way to a comfortable life.

When I first started working, the pay was peanuts compared to the responsibilities and hours. I never heard of fine brands and probably didn’t have time to shop anyway. Whenever I had to work long hours, I saw it as an opportunity to learn and improve my skills. In fact, once my MD apologised for making me staying late to help him with his presentation materials with the Board. I was heavily pregnant then.

Almost a decade later, despite being able to shop at Sloane Street or New Bond St, I still maintain the same rules on spending. Whenever I go back, I shop like a Malaysian. I love Vincci, Jusco, Tesco etc. I still think twice to buy something worth more than MYR50 because I remember back then, that amount was considered excessive.

I suppose since my circle of friends share similar traits, I find it strange when I hear their complaints of the society. For those who are in managerial posts, the woes often consist of the lack of determination among the young ones and their dissatisfaction with pay. Of course a graduate’s salary is never enough to buy Gucci or Prada. They either charge it to the credit cards, get a rich man (or woman) to help out or for those who can’t find one, they turn to fake goods.

People want to fit in. I get it. We change our appearances to blend in or to gain targeted people for fame or whatever reason. Probably it is because I have gazillions things on my mind that I don’t have the thoughts of blending in. But then again, I am known for being a weirdo anyway as my close friends have observed e.g. selective amnesia, life changing decisions, impromptu actions. It is also one of the reasons why I only have and maintain a handful of friends.

How far would a person go just to be accepted? It seems that there is no limit. When everything is superficial, what makes us unique then?

Perhaps it is also another reason why my friendship with Professor Fox remains strong despite the distance and time. Being able to buy fine things is nice but having good friends who enjoy a cup of teh tarik with you is way much cooler (and yes Fox dearie, I am workaholic as before but slowed down a lot).
*Ms B wanted to post about the art of seduction which she thinks her readers would love to read. She needs to do more research before posting*

18 comments:

n.i. said...

babe,
i totally agree... i'm not (really) into designer stuff... have a few (2-3) but i bought them coz i want to, not because other people hv them... i blog-hop alot and i was surprised with the lot who speaks freely of their designer catch.. 20 somethings have like a dozen LVs, or coach(es), or gucci(s), or chanel(s)... rasa inferior pulak... well, it's their choice of course but it's worrying too... if i want to blend in, i would hv bought the latest LV, ini masuk butik LV pun tak pernah.. takuuutttt hehehe... of course, if i can afford these luxuries, i wud've... cuma skrg ni tak mampu.. hehehee

i remember my time dulu (chewah! terasa tua pulak), having a guess? handbag dah rasa 'gempak' giler... now nih teenagers (at least) go for coach! handbag guess? tak nak pakai sbb tak class... sabor ajelah...

sbb tu kat malaysia ni bukak ajelah butique mahal, mesti ada je yang beli... many of my friends were shocked when i say i hv never set foot on Pavillion until recently...itupun sbb nak gi makan kat The Loaf... otherwise, tak pergi coz no point going there ;-)

i prefer to wear or buy brandless items than going for fake items :-)

Cosmic_GurL said...

Thats why u have to choose your friends well..not the pretentious kind...we have to be comfortable with ourself first right?

Looking forward to the art of seduction post..hehehe

D said...

blending in is one thing, but superficiality to the utmost is just plain insecurity. only those with wisdom will be comfortable with herself and her choices (whatever she can afford n wills to buy). hehe...

Inah said...

blending in is a thing that really matters now..but it seems to turn the person to be hypocrite!! well..me myself will have the problem to blend in with high class society as i'm becoming one after 3 years *wink* :)

Inah said...

art of seduction sounds interesting!! cant wait :)

Ms B said...

n.i.,

U know what? I havnt been to Pavillion (and dont even know where!).

I hv nothing against people who love branded stuff. Some of my friends do BUT these people can afford so. Even if they spend, it does not affect their level of savings.

Yet when I see the young(er) generation, esp the undergrads, with the designer stuffs, it is quite shocking. I sometimes take a seat back and wonder.

Ms B said...

CG,

Exactly! The friends that I have are the ones who have no problem slapping my face should I do something insane. *LOL* Whether I'm in my skimpy dress and they are in hijab-clad, we can still hang out and gossip non-stop. Of course the topic is always about men and not handbag. *grins*

I rather hang out with a true friend who buys her bags at Jusco and can handle my crappiness.

Hang on, I still havent finished googling. Will post soon.

Ms B said...

d darling,

I just dont get it on how some people can charge everything to the credit cards or resort to fake goods. Is it so difficult to tell people that you cant afford branded things? If they are your true friends, surely it doesnt matter.

Besides, if we know what to choose and carry ourself well, irrespective where we got the items, we will look great. Hey, I have a pair of gorgeous sandals which costed me RM20 only k. It makes me look sexy! *winks*

Ms B said...

inah,

I suppose it's the current trend right now. It makes it harder to differentiate friends. Better be entertained with dvd boxset of candy men than be in a company of superficial people.

I know I know. I shall try my best to write that posting. *stress makcik*

n.i. said...

ms B,
i agree with u... i also hv nothing against those who love branded stuff, i do myself... the only thing is i just can't afford them hehehe

luckily, my circle of friends don't really mind what type of handbag or shoes i buy... they may be clad in the latest branded stuff, but as long as they accept me for who i am, i'm happy with it...

... said...

ms b, i love vinccis!

expensive stuffs could mean quality and a reward for our hardwork.

but think one shouldn't hold to it like a crutch esp just to fit in. styles are half part senses, half part money.

HH said...

I like brands and beautiful things but I am no faker (Now, where did that come from?)

Trying is a lot harder than just being...

Ms B said...

n.i.,

even when I could afford them back then (I was already part of the highest tax bracket when I first arrived), I didnt get nor know the fine brands. I suppose being a mother, we tend to make sure we have enough for rainy days. I was frank with my friends that I couldnt afford to.

So some habits die hard, which is why my friends & family keep reminding me to treat myself once in a while. I will still wear that vincci shoes or lepak at mamak stalls with my friends.

Ms B said...

darlene dear,

Yup! esp when we worked our a** for the whole year. *grins*

I learn something new from my sifu. Some handbags are worth investing. Wait a few more years and it can be a vintage. She told me that some of her friends sold their handbags and it fetched a few grand, which they gave away to charity by the way. Not bad eh?

I do agree on ur definition of fashion sense.

Ms B said...

lil happy me,

*LOL* love ur statement!

so i suppose we should give credits to these people for trying,eh? It makes sense since it is way too difficult to try. Being superficial or pretentious all the time is one tough job.

n.i. said...

Ms B,
hehehehe vincci shoes/sandals rawks!!!

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

all i can say is thank god i'm in the right circle of friends cause i dont have to fake anything just to fit in. plus i can never afford a GUCCI. unless -yes- credit card. but hell no! i'm not going to do that. my current financial commitment alone makes me thinking of doing side job for extra income ;)

much better to go for stuff that is brandless at all rather than buying artificial one but have to worry if those classy friends will find out about the faking ;)

Ms B said...

n.i,

*lol* next time I shall post a story abt vincci shoes.

Hi Jane,

hey, never say never! We never know a person's luck. 10 years from now, you might be able to get that dream bag of yours. Work your way up girl and have faith. When our intention is clear, somehow it'll turn out ok.

But yeah, I wonder how these people react if their fake goods are discovered. That will be interesting, eh? *winks*

hang on. I thought it happened before. A friend once told that a celebrity went to a boutique and the sales assistant found out that the bag she had was fake. *lol*