Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The Gentlemen's Club

When some of my friends spend their nights at popular spots decorated with neon lights and groovy music in the background, shaking their booty or checking out member of the opposite sex, I got an invitation to a Gentlemen’s Club.

Now before you start to imagine pole dance, skimpy outfits and beautiful girls (or boys), rest assured this place has nothing to do with those, although deep inside I’m sure it would have been an experience that would last a lifetime. *grins*

I was utterly impressed by the place as it had what it takes to please a geek, if I may say so, or to be precise, an avid reader. It has a few libraries, one of which reminds me of Hogwarts. I bet the young lady will instantly fall in love the moment she sets her eyes on them.

The Club hosts dinner and talk once or twice a month and I had the privilege to attend one recently. I didn’t know what to expect and was oblivious of certain ground rules such as mobiles must be switched off at all times, which includes no texting too, exchanging business cards is prohibited, to name a few. I asked if the rules were disclosed in any book or guide and to my surprise, members must learn by heart. Oh boy, this was even tougher than the Roman Empire.

I was seated in between two gentlemen and both had been to Malaysia at some point in time. One was part of the British reserve army during the Malayan Emergency. He was able to describe the geographical features of the country as if he had a map stored inside his memory. Many years later, he was there for a couple of times, mostly on business trips. We definitely had a lot to talk about as he used to head one of the energy giants in Europe. After a few decades of travelling and relocating, he now enjoys the company of his grandchildren which includes skiing with them and from time to time he sails across the Channel with his wife and friends. For a man of his age, it was pretty impressive.

I could count how many of us who weren’t silver foxes. A few young ladies looked like they married their professors. Apart from looking hot, they had this intelligent look written all over their face i.e. a grad student. Of course it helped when the guest list was distributed and Sir, Madam, Lady, Dr or Professor were among them, further supporting my theory.

Instead of listening to the talk, I was busy screening the guests. *grins*

Anyway, I enjoyed myself and the crème brule was simply divine! Darn! That’s my fourth dessert in four days
.

*Ms B would like to run her finger through the hair of the boys in The Vampire Diaries.*

3 comments:

Ummi to Hamzah said...

Miss B, seems like u had great time at the Gentleman Club inspite of being one of the ladies and not the lads. creme brulee must have been a good highlight and end to your visit there. loved to see the "hogsworth" like library myself ;) take care, regards to mini B!

Melb said...

Ms.B, 4th creme brulee in 4 days?? Wow!! I had ice cream just now.. Delicious!! Tomorrow, we exercise..

Ms B said...

Mawar,

it would be a dream come true to have my own hogsworth libary, shelves reaching the ceiling, complete with attached ladder with wheels.

and oh, the ancient books!!! I can spend hours at that place.


Melbourne,

exercise is not in my dictionary. *evil laugh* now what's next? scones with cream and jam?