Sunday, June 21, 2009

Devil's advocate

DA for short.

Whenever I face a shopping dilemma, I call my trusted DA for advice. This DA of mine resides back home. A mother of three, I trust her advice when it comes to shopping. She doesnt look her age and being a SAHM does not stop her for being chic and groovy. From scarf to shoes, everything goes together.

Anyway, yesterday while we were at the mall in West End, I caught a small sale sign in my favourite shop. We women have sharp eyes when it comes to the S word no matter how small the sign may be. The young lady made her way to the sofa knowing mummy dearest would take her sweet time browsing through.

The items on sale were not exactly my favourite. There was only one that came close, a metallic blue handbag. However, my eyes caught an autumn 2009/10 collection which obviously was not on sale. The lady who served me knew it fell my preference based on my previous grabs, hence took it down for me to have a closer look.

Darn! It was really lovely.

So there I was, stuck in the shop, not knowing what to do; the bag on sale or the one I liked. I ended up calling my DA. Obviously she felt I loved the other bag more and if I could sleep at night without the discounted bag, then there was no need to buy anything. She did try to talk me into buying the non-sale bag but thank god I managed not to listen to her. I think I can wait for a few months more for that bag to be on sale.

The dilemma did not stop there. While we walked further, I spotted a handbag in another shop. This time, the item was light red, soft leather and fine workmanship.

I needed to clear my head before deciding on anything. As the young lady was patient throughout (knowing other kids would throw tantrum or die of boredom), we went looking for her stuff instead. One item led to another and before we knew it, we bought many things for her. Suffice to say that the young lady was one happy girl.

As we made our way home, she suddenly said, “I feel guilty that you didn’t get anything mummy.”

Now that was worth more than the handbags combined. *smiles* Perhaps next time the DA will have better luck.

Also, Happy father's day to all those daddies, uncles, grandfathers etc out there!

6 comments:

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

aha.. you win the battle of temptation.. hehe..

your lil mini B surely an adorable one.. how thoughtful of her when most of grown ups like us are so self absorbed.

have a nice day miss B! *smiles*

n.i. said...

i think I am my own DA *lol*...

Ms B said...

Jane,

I know. i was so touched by her remarks that i totally forgot about the bags. Slipped away just like that.

We adults tend to focus on other things when truhtfully, the simplest act is more fulfilling.

ps: when are you going to post abt the wedding?

Ms B said...

n.i.

babe, if only u knew how much time we spent at the first three shops. The iman was very thin. *lol* Nasib baik the young lady didnt complain.

Anonymous said...

it's always so easy to spend for others isn't it? and the satisfaction... priceless! :)

Ms B said...

momster,

ah...indeed. it gives us pleasure to see the smiles on the face of our loved ones. priceless!