Monday, December 15, 2008

Forgive yourself

I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.'

If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you. When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that's rough. But you can overcome that.

The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.

-- Maya Angelou --

It takes courage to ask for forgiveness. We try to be a good person but as human, we sometimes make mistakes. We then ask for forgiveness, whether or not the person will accept our apology. The idea of forgiveness is not only to acknowledge that we have done an error, but also to give peace to ourselves. If we hold on to our past, we can never move on.

Similarly, we don’t have to wait for the person to apologize for their mistake. It is easier to forgive without being asked.

Just by taking the step to say that you are sorry, you have become a better person than before. Even if they choose not to accept, the least you can do is to forgive yourself.

19 comments:

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Ms B...be forgiven...and we can have peace with ourselves...

Inah said...

its hard for me to say i'm sorry - there's a song for this quote..

and guess what.. asking for forgiveness from your loved ones seems a lot harder than asking the same thing from a stranger..

something for me to ponder :)

... said...

hi ms b, i love this entry. am learning each day to bury / to forgive few things of the past myself. i tell myself everyday to try see all the good things in life but sometimes i can't help it but waking up in the morning feeling all down and wishing to just disappear for a lil while.

~ that may be the hormones talking. LOL.

p/s and yeah, sometimes sugar helps.

Pak Idrus said...

Ms B, You should not only forgive yourself but all the others as well. Just forgive with all your heart and it cost you nothing. Of course you can never forget, for that if life. With a clear heart you would always have a great live. I just do that all the time and life have always been colorful.

Have a nice day and take care.

Unknown said...

How I see it; only people with big heart can forgive. We can; always can, be full of hatred and anger by not forgiving, but are we having the last laugh?
Why not forgive and laugh together? :D
In this one, jangan dok gelak sorang2 hehe...

D said...

Forgiving oneself is an art; pleasing to all.

A mistake is a mistake but there shouldn't be any regrets coz somewhere, somehow, there's a blessing.

Ms B said...

Hi danial,

I learn that by forgiving others, it gives me peace, even when they dont make the effort to apologise.

BUt forgiving myself even when I have no control of the situation, is hard.

Ms B said...

Inah,

I believe after certain time (or perhaps age) and experiences, it gets easier to ask forgiveness from our loved ones.

We'll get there eventually... hopefully before it is too late.

Ms B said...

Darlene,

I know the feeling. There were times that I too wished that I could disappear.

The way I see it, I forgive because it releases me from pain and anger. I cant see myself having so much hatred (or perhaps I dont wish to add wrinkles! *smiles*).

ah, I shall try sugar soon. *winks*

Ms B said...

Pak Idrus,

It costs us nothing by forgiving. I learn that by doing so, it is easier for me to move and live life. When someone hurts me, I just let it go. But I remember the actions for my own good so that I dont repeat the same mistake or be a better judge on character.

As you said, with a clear heart, then only we get to enjoy life.

Ms B said...

Hi Akmal,

Why should we waste our energy on hate when we can use them to do the chicken dance, right? *smiles* Kalau dah gelak sorang2 tuh, kena register at mental hosp. *LOL*

Ms B said...

Ah D, sometimes I wish I can give myself a break, not pushing myself too hard. The experience I share with my girl has taught me to communicate more and take life easy. We want to give them all but there are things that are beyond our control.

Similarly, with the experiences I had this year, I believe they have taught me new things each time.

Good or bad, they add colours to our life. *smiles*

Kak Teh said...

Ms B, sometimes saying sorry is too easy - whether one means it or not is a different matter, kan?
Yes, I agree, forgiving and saying sorry is the best thing to do cos it makes you look forward and move forward.

Unknown said...

I think for as long as people do not know or understand the fact:

1 the act of forgiving, releases one from living in the past

2 the act of makes us move forward without the guilt baggage...

3 the act of forgiving releases the mind giving more space to think of better things

4,5,6,7,8,9 & more reasons that I don't wish to fill up the space here..

..it is hard to forgive anytime, by anyone, in reality.

..he he..life is such.

n.i. said...

i used to be that person, hard to say i'm sorry... especially to my husband (tak nak ngaku kalah punya pasal) but i've learnt thru the years that asking for forgiveness or forgiving someone is freedom!

n.i. said...

owh i forgot... i agree with Inah... asking forgiveness from the loved ones is definitely harder than a stranger...

Ms B said...

KT,

To some people, saying sorry is common and it doesnt come from the heart. Perhaps which is why they tend to repeat the same mistake over and over again, eh?

Ms B said...

Ruby,

It is never easy to forgive another person but it is not worth to put our life on hold simply because of a grudge. How can we ever find peace if such thoughts are kept?

There are some people who are just not worth our time to be angry at as they simply find pleasure to annoy others and never bother to ask forgiveness. For these people, we just forgive them.

Ms B said...

n.i.,

I suppose with age and experience, we learn to say sorry better esp to our loved ones.