Monday, January 29, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit Of Happyness


“You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.”

I don’t know when I’m able to find time to watch this movie but it’s definitely in my to-do list. Either that or getting the DVD when it’s out. I know my life is no where close to this movie. I wasn’t homeless but I understand how a single parent goes thru a difficult phase.

There were times when people told me that I could never achieve my dreams, that I was wasting my time here in London, that I left a luxury life and lived in “rags” for nothing, that I could never make it as a single mom in a foreign land. No one supported my dreams. People kept criticising my decision.

I’m going to make sure that my daughter gets everything that I’ve been missing as a child, time with her mother. She’ll know that I’ll be there for her school’s performances and parties. We plan for our weekends and holiday trips. If work is getting overload, I’ll make sure that I put some time off after each deadline so that we spend time together.

In pursuit of my dreams, I wont leave my daughter behind. And I thank her for believing in me.

"It's the story of my life, but it's not about me. It's about every father who had to be both the father and the mother. It's about every mother who had to be the mother and father," he said. "It's about anybody who ever dreamed big and had someone tell them, 'No, you can't do it.' You can."

Chris Gardner story can be found via here:

http://www.chrisgardnermedia.com/main/biography.htm

7 comments:

k.d said...

Way to go Ms. Istanbul. Go for it. You and only you can make your own dreams come true..with help along the way much appreciated.

Be strong.

Ms B said...

k.d.

Thank you for your kind words!

Unknown said...

'You want something? Go get it!'...I totally agree with you here. I live by this dictum.

Me too am looking forward to see 'The Pursuit of Happyness'.

Thanks so much for your visit to my blog the other day. Thanks for your warm kind words. Change photos here and there and yet no new blog, is one of my many eccentricities!

Oooh! Btw, you budak TKC rupa nya. Wonderful to note that. Wonder which batch? He he..my kay-poh antenna is up.

Ms B said...

Hi Kak Ruby,

I often find myself arguing (in my head) with people who expects things to be spoon-fed. I know by now that I should keep myself shut, know my place. Cant remember how many times my outspoken mind landed me in a tricky situation. Luckily I'm working in an environment which promotes "creative thinking". hehhehe..

Batch 1994. Not sure whether I'll send my girl to any boarding schools in Msia. Things are different now.

Anyway, you take care and hopefully you'll continue your postings. Bring loads of tissue when you watch Happyness.

Anonymous said...

ms Istanbul...

:) here is wishing you a Happy *belated* Birthday!!!
i so admire people with courage - the type who knows what they want and with single minded passion - go get it!

sounds liek u r having a good one going - my best wishes!

will be in london early march. any spare time for a cuppa?

idham

Ms B said...

Hi Idham,

Thank you for hopping by at my humble blog! Thanks for the belated wish and your kind words. I always try to see the positive side of things. And I always believe that if you work hard and with a little bit of luck, you'll get there eventually.

This single malay mom is trying her best to perform well in her profession in this big city. I'm thanking the Almighty for giving me this opportunity.

Will try to find some spare time.

Idham said...

ms istanbul..

my number is 00971504570447. text me pls.
mocha or dinner is on me.


idham