Thursday, October 07, 2010

Honeymoon is almost over

Yesterday I received a phone call from a HR lady of XYZ company which has something to do in energy. She wanted to arrange an interview between me and the director which will take place next week. Now, before you start to wish me good luck, there is something you should now.

I’m being called for a role which has nothing to do with my skills and experience! I believe my 2-page CV has done a good reflection and nothing between those lines suggest that I have the knowledge to carry the required role, especially at decision-making level.

So just imagine when the nice woman on the other line had to repeat the role that I was “applying” for as well as the name of the company when clearly I had no clue of the subject matter. Perhaps she was thinking if her boss was at the right state when he asked to arrange for a meeting with me.

I knew the partner was sending my resume around but it would have been nice if I was made aware of the companies so that I don’t appear a fool when they call. I think I’ve had enough share of making myself looking like a lunatic in the past and try my best to minimise it.

Anyway, friends have mixed reaction. Some said I should go for it whilst others think it’s rather risky i.e. being responsible for a subject which I have no clue. There is no harm in going for the interview but I should at least make the director aware that my experience may not be suitable for the role.

Ideally, I would like to see myself landing a place with an investment house but it seems I have missed an opportunity. I was told one has made a tentative offer to someone and awaits for his/her acceptance but the CEO is still keen to meet me (they only received my resume yesterday). Now, should I proceed to see him when I know that the job has already been taken? Is it wrong for me to pray for that person who was offered the position to decline, giving me a small chance to nail the job?

Ironically, the partner wondered what was so special with my short and simple CV that I was getting the right attention. His exact words, “I am jealous. I need to see what is wrong with mine (re resume) now.”

Right... getting attention from companies gives him buzz but not when men ogle me. *rolling eyes*

I better make full use of my honeymoon period, thus more cooking and baking over the next few weeks. Once I join the workforce, it will be back to desserts from the bakery shops and cafes
.

2 comments:

The Momster said...

I think you should just go see the CEO eventhough the job is well secured already. Never know who they'll need in the future! ;)

As for the one in energy line, kindly pass that to Mr. Hubs! Hahaha.

Ms B said...

If I see good opportunities for Mr Hubs, will definitely let u know. then u can be a tai-tai. ;-)