Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A fishing trip

When I left the house this morning, I was still unsure about this role and couldn’t see how I could sell myself. A salesman needs to understand his product well before he can convince others to buy. It was my main problem as I had no clue what I was up against.

However, when you are put in a room with a man who has served more than two decades with a huge corporation and was posted to major cities around the world, you cannot help yourself from listening to him with an open heart and mind. From his appearance and gestures, there was a clear indication that this was a man who possesses qualities that a strong leader should have. Despite his position and achievements, his willingness to spare some time with me made this whole thing a humbling experience.

Instead of being tested, it felt more like him convincing me on why this role would be good. When I walked out of the room, my perception on this path changed. It caught me by surprise when the HR manager came to see me after the meeting was over. He was very keen to know how I felt spending time with the CFO. He understood my concern of doing something different and how it’ll affect my career.

A few hours after the meeting, I received a phone call from the bubbly HR lady, asking me if I was free tomorrow to spend an hour with the Director for a “3rd interview”. Apparently he would like to show the workplace, explain the tasks and role in detail, etc.

Why do I feel like everyone is trying to sell this post to me?

My friends think that they are doing their best to ‘pancing’ me. What do you reckon?


ps: This post was written last night.

3 comments:

... said...

happy for you that things seem to go smoothly.

Ummi to Hamzah said...

its exciting to read up on ur post about the new job position being offered to u.All the best Ms B :)

Ms B said...

Darlene,

Thanks! not exactly what I was expecting tho. :)

Mawar,

I am 90% sure about this role. Lots of challenges but its normal these days.