Wednesday, January 13, 2010

From sambal tumis to cakes with icing

I am still on Juara Lagu mode .*grins* Maybe I am just missing home badly that this music award gave a huge impact on me. The young lady even noticed the changes in me last night; "are you going to listen to Malay songs again?"

Yes, I have a side which is hard to comprehend. It takes small things like Ghost, Nur Kasih and Juara lagu to make me feel homesick. Dont get me started on food. People find it hard to understand my need to eat local food whenever we are out. My breakfast comprises croissants, pain-au-chocolat whilst soup, salad or panini are on my lunch menu. As for dinner, the young lady prefers Mediterranean meal i.e. baked fish, roast lamb, grilled chicken, pasta etc.




Thus, I will go to the extra length to get masak lemak cili padi or sambal tumis dishes during the weekends. It was only the other day that we went to have buffet at a Malaysian restaurant and I had 3 portions of soto simply because the cili padi with soy sauce was to die for. I swore my pants couldnt cope the expansion of my tummy. Nevertheless, it did not stop me from eating as if there was no tomorrow. *lol* Now, imagine if I were back home. I usually have 5-6 meals a day and even walk to the nearby stalls for the morning, brunch, tea or supper time to fulfil the craving for nasi lemak, roti canai, mee goreng mamak, to name a few.

Hmm, I wonder what my cholesterol level would be at the end of a month holiday.

Anyway, these days it is common to name and shame people who cross the wrong side of your path. I suppose this is the danger of internet as the information is made known to everyone. I am sure we have our bad days but do we really want to tell everyone about it? A few people have been dismissed from their workplace because they circulated something which was meant as a joke but it became out of hand (the info travelled as far to the other side of the planet!). It is quite worrying, especially when neutral parties are dragged into the matter.

There is always a proper channel to voice out our frustration, which could turn out to be more fruitful. Instead of trying to resolve the matter, readers will interpret the information differently and may backfire the writer.

On a happier note, we got our residency today. Phew! Now I can start planning on the move and filtering potential roles in the new city. Most importantly, I can tender my resignation. Finally we can escape this wintry weather. Everything was covered with snowflakes this morning! The cars looked like cakes with icing.

Hmm, somehow the last note makes me melancholy but I shall leave it for the next posting
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

exciting move for sure! 2010 is gonna be super exciting for you with so many things to look forward to!

*ehem* with a figure like yours plus the to-be-envied-metabolisme, the only thing to worry about is the cholesterol level when binge eating! haha... me, on the other hand, have to bear the extra pounds! unlucky! ;)

and yes, some people reveal just too much on the internet!

D said...

oh tidaaaaaaaaaaaak!!!! Now, I have this craving for nasi lemak (yesterday missed a girlie session of nasi lemak & other fattening dishes due to the unexpected heavy snow).

I think people become more attached to home when they're far away and perhaps moving a bit further, no?

IDB said...

Everytime i go home i always gain at least 2-3 kgs. Before i didnt mind as i was always underweight, but now...oh god help me! besides i cant say no to mom..she will always have nasi lemak, roti canai, meehoon etc on the table for breakfast!

anyway, good on you for the residency! i meant to to do mine months ago, the laziness is the only thing stopping me and the process takes ages here! and btw, i assume you're still in the uk but moving to another city ?

Ms B said...

momster,

remember, u must eat and gain more for the greater good. *grins*

2010 will certainly be a year to look forward. I am seeing trips to a few places, visiting friends who live abroad. it's time to take a break.

Ms B said...

IDB,

The process took ages but i suppose I should take out the whole of December as I bet they didnt have enough people at work.

A trip back home is incomplete without food galore. *lol*

Ms B said...

D,

thankfully my home is close to nasi lemak place. Even if it snows, I bet we still go and enjoy the hot meal.

And yes you are right. we appreciate things more when we are away....