Saturday, August 27, 2011

of Eid

I feel there is a lump in my throat, wishing to be freed and let the world know without thinking of the consequences. Yet here I am in a society where one can only share so much. One should know when it is ok to speak up.

So I remain silent and pray that I can survive the next few days without losing my mind.

Strange enough, I don’t feel the enthusiasm to celebrate Eid as others. While some rush to get new clothes or shoes, revamp their house or pamper themselves to look good for the day, I simply make do with what I have. Last year’s dresses were only worn once or twice and they still look awesome. It didn’t even occur to the young lady to request for new stuff as she knows she has more than enough.

In fact, I felt more blessed when we were in London; feeling thankful with what we had and having her by my side was more than enough to make Eid memorable.

I suppose the feeling is normal when you have spent a number of years away on this special occasion.

As long as the young lady is happy that she gets to spend Eid here, I know I am doing the right thing. What matters is her happiness and I try to fulfil as much as I can, even if it means our actions may not conform to the ‘right’ way of doing things.

Yet culture is subject to change and if our action does no harm, in fact brings people together, I do not see the problem of doing so.

I hope you have a blessed Eid.


3 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

Salam Aidilfitri, Ms B and mini-B :)

Dunker5 said...

Salam aidil fitri to u & famili!
-mun

HH said...

Eid mubarak! Heard you're in town - lil' happy!