Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Observations

Scenario 1:

While going through an analyst’s work who was also new to the company, I realised he had done a lot within the last three months. When I told him what I thought, his reply was, “you are the first person who acknowledges my hard work. Thank you.”

Scenario 2:

I went to the procurement girl to ask about the status of few important invoices as I needed to see them physically before giving my sign-off to the bankers/consultants. After seeing those documents and knowing it would be approved by today, I went back to my place and continued my work. Few minutes later, she came to me and asked, “How did you know that I handle the approval side of payments?” I explained that it was my job to understand such line of chain and who was responsible for what. She then replied, “Some people have been here for months and even years but they still dont know what I do or the processes involved. I’m amazed that you managed to find out in your second week.”


**********

I am still struggling with this role and at times I feel I am losing it. It doesn’t get easier when I am given ridiculous deadline. If the issue has been there for years and people who were given the chance to resolve it within 6 months time frame couldn’t do it, please dont expect me to come up with miracles in 2 working days.

I am just speechless
....

2 comments:

The Momster said...

Well done! I think you'd still have to stay within a reasonable deadline. Tell them if you feel it's ridiculous!

Jumper said...

Make the difference, Ms B and you will go a long way no matter where you are and no matter how new you are here. Looks like you are capitalizing the full potential of the fresh eye. Good job!