Thursday, November 11, 2010

Coffee table

As I mentioned before, since I moved here I have become a book junkie. With no tv and phone connection as well as mobile broadband with speed as fast as tortoise and the closest cafe located 20 minutes walk, I had to find a suitable activity to keep me occupied. The weekly trip to the mall meant a few books in hand and it’s a bonus when the bookshop I love has ‘3 for 2’ offer.

Here goes some that made it to my library over the past 2 months:


Blue Blood series – I read #2 and I couldn’t put it down. I then got #1, #3 and #4 immediately while #5 came out recently. It’s a cross between Gossip Girl, TVD and Buffy/Angel. Initially I hated Mimi Force, typical high profile teenage socialite but she proved to be a strong leader and showed a softer side in #4.


An offer you can’t refuse, J Mansell – Utterly hilarious! I was practically laughing to myself, much to the amusement of the partner as he thought I was losing my mind.

Breaking up is hard to do, 2 authors – Not bad but some parts and storylines could have been written better. Well, it is meant for teenagers, so I shouldn’t put too much hope.

Narnia series, 4 books – What can I say? I simple love kids’ fantasy book and Narnia is a good literature choice; words and plot. The ending was a bit sad and I didn’t expect it to be that way. Oh, I got the books through the young lady, courtesy from her awesome school library.

Lipstick Jungle – It was average for me. I could pause, read another book and then continue back to this novel. Perhaps the tv series is more exciting, not that I watch any in full.

Starbook, B Okri – I started reading this before I left London and stopped after a few pages. I decided to continue from beginning about 3-4 weeks ago and still couldn’t finish. Each time I read, I couldn’t help feeling like I’m studying literature as a subject at university.

The Art of War for Women – Most parts are worth reading and put you on the ‘climbing the corporate ladder’ mode. The last few chapters were forgettable.

Nice girls dont get the corner office – The art of war is definitely better.

There were other books such as nudge, blink and those I read before I left London i.e. accidental mother (another hilarious book) but I cant remember them all. I doubt I will have the same luxury after this but I will try to pick one every fortnight. We say that all the time but reality is, it will be hard to achieve.

6 comments:

... said...

maybe i'll go find the jill mansel's one. so many books, so little time.

~Ibu Anggun~ said...

Hi Ms B :)
Book is indeed a good companion when we need one. The don't complaint or make mess. *wink*

wish you and Mini B well wherever you are :)

The Momster said...

Ms B,
There's this crazy book sale on starting today and I really want to go on the 1st day, but don't want to risk the crowd alone with this tummy!

Ms B said...

Darlene,

I only have a few days to go (before I start working) to finish Bones season 5. Doubt I can do it.

Ms B said...

Jane,

Books are always welcomed in our home. :D

Ms B said...

Momster,

I hope you manage to grab a few books. :D I remember going nuts when they had closing down sale in London.