Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bittersweet journey

Each time I get lost in my own thoughts, which occurs quite frequent lately, the young lady would ask, “what’s wrong, mummy? Are you thinking?”

A common excuse I normally give whenever I start to stare something blankly when in reality I am caught in my whirlpool of emotions. It is best not to dwell into it much, especially when you are around kids. Sometimes I distract by taking her into a world of ponies, fairies or teddies, creating a storyline fit for a bedtime session.
Occasionally I let myself be pulled into the vortex and share with her my thoughts, just like today.

As the date approaches closer, I sense strong emotions making their waves. Happy, sad, anxious, excited, melancholy; all mixed together in a blender that I feel I could burst a colourful flavour.

My mom once told me that whenever she had to travel abroad during her career, she wished that her children would be able to see what she was experiencing, and perhaps do more. Little did she realise that her wish was to be materialised someday and I wouldn’t be surprised if she feels a tinge of regret as the longing can be unbearable. It becomes even worse as the young lady confidently chats away with the grandma, reciting poem that makes her nan speechless. I fear tears roll each time my mother hears the chatterbox, a usual response of grandparents who have been deprived from the physical presence of their grandchild.

My dad on the other hand is more relaxed. Naturally he’d prefer that I continue staying here, perhaps knowing we have been coping well with the environment. From the stories he heard through family, friends and strangers (a small world indeed that he met random people who talked about us), he knew we were doing fine. As any parent, he’d like to see that we are leaving all these good things behind for something better.

Of course it is everyone’s wish whenever a decision is made. We hope for a good or better outcome. Sometimes things go our way, sometimes it doesn’t.

I have many reasons to stay. The wonderful school with caring teachers and great kids, our annual ramadhan and eid routine, trips to the museums, picnics at the park, coffee, four seasons in a day (ok, that’s a bit extreme), to name a few. This city has been kind to us. We started from nothing and built our lives to get to where we are now.

I choose to meet halfway. I wouldn’t want to wake up one day knowing I had an opportunity but I didn’t take it or at least try. I wouldn’t want to regret for missing a chance.

And so I choose this path which I hope will give me happiness and love that last for a lifetime.

Both me and mini B would like to thank you; our friends, blogger friends and silent readers, for accompanying us during our London journey. We hope you have enjoyed yourself as much as we did. It has been a bittersweet ride, an unforgettable chapter indeed.


You find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford ~ S. Johnson

17 comments:

The Momster said...

Awwwww... I get goosebumps just reading this!

I'm sure happiness and love will follow you and Mini B no matter where you are... *hugs*

... said...

aww ms b.. sedih jugak reading this... all the best with your new adventure. i'm sure even more good things coming your way.

Nana said...

Hi Ms B! It's my first time visiting your blog. I am in the same dilemma as you once were. Found it refreshing to hear your side of the story. Thank you! God bless you and your little one!

Naz in Norway said...

Yes, London has that effect on people but Insyaallah things will work out fine for you two.
New opportunities, new corner, a change....they are all exciting. It's all in the mind....and the heart.
Come see me sometime OK. You have my gmail add and you can get my hp number from KTeh.
Take care :)

mm said...

just wanted to wish you all the best on the next chapter of your life,
go forth and have faith..carpe diem!
your silent reader for the past 3-4years?

mm

IDB said...

Oh I am very sure your next journey will be even more colourful and full of exciting adventures.

Just keep us updated and all the best in your new life!

Hope the move will be smooth sailing for both you and mini B :)

mazlina said...

Salam perkenalan Ms B! Have been your silent reader for quite sometime. So very true of what you said of London. Somehow or rather it has that effect on you. I miss London too itu yang bila baca blog you especially part shopping...terubatlah sikit rindu di hati. I am sure your next journey will be as colourful and as interesting as ever. I doakan kesejahteraan for both you and Mini B.

D said...

Babes, never ever lose touch, okay? Good luck in your new episode!


xxx

Ms B said...

Momster,

Thanks dear! Hope to see you soon.

Ms B said...

Darlene,

The last few days before we departed, it was tough. Her friends gave a touching farewell and their sobs were unbearable. Time will heal and for now, she is looking forward to our trip to msia.

Ms B said...

Hi Nana,

Thanks for dropping by. At some stage in life we will face these issues and I am sure any route we take, there are always pros and cons. We just hv to make the best out of it.

Ms B said...

Naz,

Thanks dear. It was not an easy decision to leave but I am sure The One Above knows what's best. I believe there are more good things to look forward to.

Insya-Allah when I settle down, I will get your no from KT. I am still in between places and holiday! ;-)

Ms B said...

Hi MM,

Thank you for coming out of the closet! :) Live life and seize the day. We should be exploring opportunities when they arise, esp when intention is good. Keep well!

Ms B said...

IDB,

Thanks for the well wishes! I will try to keep you posted but I am still in between places and holidays. The young lady was down with a bug yesterday, triggered by the combination of fatigue and weather change.

Ms B said...

Hi Mazlina,

Thank you! I am sure we will miss London as much as you do. It has been our home for 6 years. I hope we get to visit the city from time to time.

Ms B said...

D darling,

thank you for being my texting buddy, esp for the past few days.

xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Wishing you and the young lady all the best! My husband and I have just returned to KL for good after 16 years in Ldn!I have truly enjoyed reading your blog for last 2 years.Good luck!

E