Sunday, March 23, 2008

I am my mother's daughter

I watched Spanglish today. It's about a single mexican mother, Flor (Paz Vega), who crossed the border into the United States with her young daughter Cristina, in search of a better life. She becomes a housekeeper for a rich Clasky family. The story is narrated by her daughter, who towards the end became so closed to family that she wanted to live their life. Seeing how Mrs Clasky treated her daughter like a trophy, showering her with gifts and private school, Flor then quitted her job. Perhaps it was also due to the fact she was falling for Mr Clasky (Adam Sandler) who is so nice and down to earth person, yet the wife isnt appreciating him enough (and sleeps around).

In the last scene, while the mother and daughter made their walk towards the bus stops (1 mile from the Clasky's house), the daughter had much anger and hurt with her mom's decision to quit the job which gives her (the daughter) the life she always wanted. After a moment of silence at the bus stop, Flor tearfully asks Cristina a question that will define the rest of her life: Does she really want to become someone very different from her mother?

Cristina responds by silently boarding the bus with her mother, initially sits away from Flor, then comes close to her mother again and ends up embracing her for the duration of their ride. At the background, Cristina as an adult narrates, acknowledging that “all she is today” rests on the simple fact that she is her mother’s daughter.

A beautiful story. I hope my lil girl will one day understand the sacrifice we make together. I love you my love...

4 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Ms Istanbul, interesting post this. Sense and sensibilities I would add.
And to your 'lil one, her mom is a never ending song in her heart of comfort, happiness and being. Your 'lil one may sometimes forget the words, but she will always remember the tune.
And you her loving mother, a good mother is worth a hundred teachers.
Never does a daughter not immitate, follow or wants to be like her loving mother.
Your 'lil one will have you in her always, your warmth, your caring, and your love, and I will add, a beauty like her mother.
You have a nice evening, Ms Istanbul.
By the way, what colour is grass? Ha ha. Our temp plummeted down to -8'c and it snowed like crazy last night, more snow expected tomorrow and Friday.
Have been walking like an itek so many months because of the ice outside.
Lee.

simah said...

i am sure she will...slowly n eventually... (after u n ur lil princess have numerous fights over this n that esp during her adolescent years)...

u keep well eh?

(am glad this time i dont catch the entry where u write... i am sick hehehe)

Lee said...

Ms Istanbul, drop in my place, mentioned something about you, ha ha. Lee.

Ms B said...

Hi Lee,

Sorry but been very tied down with work. Plus, I have friends visiting (some business, some hols). Was trying to squeeze time between work and them.

Me and girl, I guess its because we are always together, good and bad. I'm using my past experience to be a mother to her. An open communication, continous love and support, expressing one's emotions. I guess of all people, she knows me best.

As for your "report", I must say, SPOT ON! *winks*

SImah dear,

You are under the weather. Its so eccentric here. Last week, snowing, today sunshine. I think winter is over. Looking forward to a proper spring. Take care yeah!