Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Of being City slaves

Picture from Guardian


Soulless but lucrative.

Undeniably, the main reason that most of us join and stay in this line is money. The lure of wealth makes it a huge attraction for graduates, regardless of their major at university. From engineering to performing arts students, they submit their application and those who hold first class from top schools will eventually make it. With a minimum starting salary of £24k per annum (and maybe up to £36k), bright and driven students will nail a role in the City before they graduate, unless of course they fail their final semester.

By the time they reach mid or late 20s, it is likely they will be at managerial level, with basic pay of double or triple than what they started and ridiculous bonus amount, common for those working at bulge brackets. Despite working like mad dogs, most persevere and continue, thinking that they should at least own a country house or a holiday home in neighbouring countries before they slow down.

However, these days many feel that there is more to life than being a City slave. An article which appeared in Evening Standard mentioned that there is an increasing trend of corporate professionals quitting their soulless jobs and venturing into something new. From writing a book to joining a different platform e.g. advertising or F&B, many feel that it is possible to swim in an unknown territory and enjoy it.

So I am one of the five thousand Londoners who simply want to try something else. Having free time allows me to take part and volunteer in school activities. Sometimes my presence surprises the young lady, thinking that the workshop or project is meant for students and teachers only. As there is a recruitment drive for Malaysian students this week, I have been helping some to polish their CVs and giving tips based from my experience as an interviewer/assessor before.

Not forgetting the recent “project” which some of you have known. The experience was enjoyable despite how hectic it was, especially when it was a one-man show. I should have hired an assistant for my own production but my outsourcing methods did the trick, giving a push to the overall performance. Suffice to say we had a great time.

Three months ago I couldn’t see myself doing these things. Now, even the young lady keeps planting seeds of ideas in my head, things we both can do together. Perhaps that is why it is fulfilling.

2 comments:

The Momster said...

More and more people realize that money, eventhough important, is just not everything. There are so many other options that allows one to enjoy life, and money at the same too, right?

I am glad you are enjoying life, and the l'il one enjoying you! :D

Ms B said...

momster,

An ex-colleague moved to the countryside and I think her home has a small farm. She still works part-time at a nearby town but she prefers to tend to her garden as well as to raise her baby. I bet she is enjoying her life.

Oh, the girl has many on her list and I hope I have the energy to keep up with it. :D