Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Appraisals time!

I received an email from my Appraiser’s secretary. She reminded us to book the Director’s time for the year end performance review. Not that it really matters to me since I just joined the firm about 3 months ago. Nevertheless, a new joiner like me can’t run away from the paperwork process.

So far, I don’t have any complaints with this new firm. They (i.e. management) have been very accommodating with my position as a single-parent. At one point, I asked my Director to give some indication when is the ‘peak’ period of our project coz I just want to arrange my nanny to stay overnight during those times. He just laughed! Apparently in our industry, projects never seem to be on track (it’s not that easy to finalise 5-10 years projections). We are already 4 weeks behind schedule, mainly because our client was unable to finalise their figures. So for the time being and until further notice, he told me to do my usual routines i.e. leave by 7pm and continue my work from home (if necessary).

Frankly, I couldn’t be bothered with this review process. It is so unlike me to feel this way. Two years ago, I was very career-driven. I mapped my way in order to get partnership. Had I stayed back home, I could have been a partner before I reach 35 (if I count correctly, I’d be 33, fast track).

But now, guess I mellowed down. I tend to take a more relaxing approach. I still work hard but not like before (60-80 hours per week). I’m restricting myself to 9 to 7pm routine and just one day in the weekends.

Of course deep inside I would love to have a nice career mapped in front of me. At the moment, I’m getting reasonably enough to afford a nice house in a nice centrally-located area in London, a good nanny for my kid, and enough shopping money for both of us. :P Girls will always be girls!! In my case, it’s TWO!

No comments: