Sunday, September 24, 2006

1st day of Ramadhan

This is our third year of Ramadhan in London. Last night, I took her to Malaysia Hall. It was her first time experiencing terawih prayers. All these while, I performed the prayers at home. Now she is big enough to follow. She just prayed Isya and told me she was already tired. So while I was performing terawih, she sat with the rest of the kids.

When we were done, I asked her how she felt about terawih. She really enjoyed herself! It's the atmosphere. You feel like you are close to home. She gets to see the 'kakaks', 'makciks' and 'neneks'. She had a taste of 'moreh', a simple meal served to people after the prayers.

Personally, I'm happy that she had this experience. Sometimes being away makes us want to be closer to home. Someone told me that home is the best place to raise kids so that they know their root. But that doesnt mean when you are away, you are less muslim or Malaysian. My kid is exposed to praying, fasting, quran reading (the ustaz conducts class every friday) as well as eating nasi lemak, roti canai, 'teh tarik', etc etc.

In my life, I have seen people back home who dont even hold Malaysian or Muslim values. And some people who reside overseas are more Malaysian or Muslim. At the end of the day, it's what you want.. what matters most..

No comments: